SOLVED Need help with Music

Reaction score
Backstory: Two years ago I imported hundreds of songs from my CD collection to my Macbook Pro iTunes library before giving away all of the CD's. (You may be asking why I would give them away, it's because my husband and I sold our home and now travel the country as full time RV'ers.) I have always used my phone to connect to a wireless speaker to listen to this library, never directly from my laptop.

About a year ago I replaced the Macbook Pro with a new M1 Macbook Air. I am currently running Big Sur 11.6. Just yesterday I discovered that my music library on the laptop contains ONLY songs that I have purchased from Apple. All of my imported tunes are missing. I went back to an external drive to find an old backup of the Pro from before I got rid of it, and found the old library.

My question is, can I just highlight all the folders and drag them to the Music app on my current M1? I'm not very tech savvy but not a total idiot either. I just want to make sure I don't do something to cause me to lose all this music.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Technically, you are supposed to retain the physical copies of any music you import to iTunes, since that is the actual "legal license" for ownership of those songs. ;)

That said, what you stated to copy them from the old backup should work. You could always try it with one song and see, then proceed if that works.

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Technically, you are supposed to retain the physical copies of any music you import to iTunes, since that is the actual "legal license" for ownership of those songs. ;)

That said, what you stated to copy them from the old backup should work. You could always try it with one song and see, then proceed if that works.

C
Thanks so much for your response. I really had no idea about the legal ownership aspect. Very strange, but fortunately the cd's were all given to family so I guess they could bail me out if need be :)

I'll try it with one song, and see how it goes. Thank again!

Ask a Question