Need a good Anti Virus Software for iMac

Reaction score
Greetings, I would like to purchase a good Anti-virus program for IMAC.
OS Montery. Suggestions Please.

Reaction score
You don't need any. Unless you are going to install Windows on your Mac, then you will need it on that partition. There are no viruses for Macs circulating.

The only thing you need is Malwarebytes, for any malware that slips through the net.

The free version is more than adequate.

Reaction score
You don't need any. Unless you are going to install Windows on your Mac, then you will need it on that partition. There are no viruses for Macs circulating.

The only thing you need is Malwarebytes, for any malware that slips through the net.

Reaction score

thank you , my bank told me to have someone go thru my iMac to see if it had any virus or spyware as I received a message while logged into my actual bank account that stated my account had been compromised m. The call to the bank says they didn’t send out this message but it does appear as if it it was trying to be hacked. They closed my bank Acct and reopened. So do you still think I don’t need to worry? Or should I really take it in to be checked out? Thank you for your quick response!!!

Reaction score
First thing I'd do is change the password for your bank account. Install Malwarebytes and see if it comes up with anything.

Reaction score
Recent Consumer Reports recommended Avast for Macs. It's free. I've used AVG free for years but switched to Avast last month. You may not "need" it but it's a kind on belt-and-suspenders approach to safety

Reaction score
thank you , my bank told me to have someone go thru my iMac to see if it had any virus or spyware as I received a message while logged into my actual bank account that stated my account had been compromised m. The call to the bank says they didn’t send out this message but it does appear as if it it was trying to be hacked. They closed my bank Acct and reopened. So do you still think I don’t need to worry? Or should I really take it in to be checked out? Thank you for your quick response!!!
I use Nat West's online banking service and they recommend Malwarebytes in fact they are providing the full version free until next year to their customers

Reaction score
I use Natwest's on line banking service and they recommend Malwarebytes in fact they have been providing the full version free to their customers until next year

Reaction score
I recently tried MalwareBytes on my MacBook Pro and was pleasantly surprised at how light it was. I have tried several Mac AVs and found most of them kill the machine in terms of performance. I might give MalwareBytes a go: for their premium product, it's on sale and you can do 5 machines for $30 US a year. That's not bad.

Reaction score

I just downloaded Malwarebytes and their web page states:-

Thanks for downloading the 14-day trial!

Your download should have started automatically. If it didn’t, click here.
Open the downloaded file and follow the steps to start your protection.

DON’T WAIT FOR YOUR PROTECTION TO LAPSE

With Malwarebytes Premium trial, you get advanced real-time protection against sophisticated cyberthreats including phishing and ransomware attacks. After 14 days, your devices and data will not be protected in real-time. Upgrade to Malwarebytes Premium or Malwarebytes Premium + Privacy VPN for continual protection.

SO the trial version is FREE!!!! but only for 14 days? Then you have to purchase the full version or you do not have realtime protection???? Whats the point of downloading it if you are not protected after 14 days.

Reaction score
No. The free version is free forever. I've been using it for years. They're trying to sell you the premium version, which has more features.

Reaction score
First thing I'd do is change the password for your bank account. Install Malwarebytes and see if it comes up with anything.
Always a good idea to change passwords regularly, but I would bet heavily that Bowen NGA has simply received a phishing email. I get dozens like that - usually they are amateurish, with misspellings and idiotic legal notices claiming copyright on their warning!! If someone answers such an email, further pressure to acquire your bank details, phone numbers etc can be expected. Very often the email address itself is nothing like anything from a proper bank.

Reaction score
There is more than one school of thought on that. I never change passwords because mine are all in a secure password DB and are lengthy and random. Some may say changing them for those folks that do not use a password database results in less secure passwords because people hate changing them and just add a number or increasing number to the end.

Not saying you shouldn't change them, if you have a secure password database and store them that way, it certainly can't hurt anything. For people that use one password for everything and only slightly modify it (my wife), then by all means change them regularly.

Ask a Question