MyPersonalSearch

Reaction score
Hit Agree when asked to allow Safe Search on Z library site and MyPersonalSearch comes up every time I go to Google Search. What is MyPersonalSearch and is it malware?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,
  • Which version of macOS?
  • Are you using Safari, Chrome, Firefox, etc.?
  • Did you check the browser extensions in the browser you are using?
  • Did you check the default search engine setting in the browser?
C

Reaction score
My computer is an iMac using OS Sierra 10.12.6. I use Firefox with Google as my default search engine. MyPersonalSearch is not listed in my alternate extensions.

Reaction score
MyPersonalSearch is a browser extension that is classified as potentially unwanted program (PUP) or adware. It can modify your browser settings without your permission, including your default search engine, homepage, and new tab page. In this case, it seems that when you clicked "Agree" to allow Safe Search on Z library site, the site may have also installed the MyPersonalSearch extension on your browser.

Although MyPersonalSearch is not a virus or malware, it can cause unwanted browser behavior such as displaying pop-up ads, redirecting your search queries to sponsored websites, and collecting your browsing data. It is recommended to remove this extension from your browser to restore your preferred settings and prevent potential privacy and security issues.