My first Apple product (iBook G4) - need boot help

Reaction score
I bought an ibook g4 with adapter at a yard sale for $50. When i turn on my computer I get the following:
panic(cpu 0 caller0x002E1EC4): Unable to find driver for this platform: "PowerBook6.5"

Latest stack backtrace for cpu 0:
Backtrace: (Lots of letters and numbers)

Proceeding back via exception chain:
Exception state (sv=0x0052FA00)
PC= 0x000000000; MSR=0x0000D030; DAR=0x000000000; LR=0x000000000; R1=0x000000 XCP=0x000000000 (unknown)

Kernel version:
Darwin Kernel Version 8.11.0:
Wed Oct 10 18:26:00 PDT 2007; root:xnu/xnu-792.24.17.-1/RELEASE_PPC

No debugger configured - dumping debug information
MSR=00001030
Latest stack backtrace for CPU 0:(Many more letters & numbers)
Proceeding back via exception chain:
Exception state(sv=0x0052FA00)
PC= 0x000000000; MSR=0x0000D030; DAR=0x000000000; LR=0x000000000; R1=0x000000 XCP=0x000000000 (unknown)

Kernel version:
Darwin Kernel Version 8.11.0
Wed Oct 10 10:26:00 PDT 2007: root:xnu-792.24.17.-1/RELEASE_PPC

panic we are hanging here...
It obviously came with no disks. Can this be salvaged? I'm certainly familiar with starting a PC in safe mode, or hitting a predetermined key, like F11, to bring up a menu that will enable a user to restore the PC to it's factory settings, but I have no idea if any of this functionality exists in Apple products.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Well it's having a Kernal Panic over lack of a driver which may not necessarily be serious & the PowerBook may or may not be salvageable. It's difficult to say at this point

Try booting into Safe Mode you will likely need to source the original install media for the PowerBook, i think it may have originally shipped with Mac OS X 10.3.3 which is Panther. Then you can wipe the HD & reinstall a clean OS.

See how you go with Safe Boot

Last edited:
Reaction score
See how you go with Safe Boot
Not very far. AFAIK one accesses safe mode by holding down the <shift> key after pressing the power button. I get the gray screen with the Apple logo, ..... and then the same panic screen as before, even while my finger is still on the <shift> key.

I've also tried powering on and holding the option/command/p/r keys (having to hold down 4 keys simultaneously is a finger exercise unknown to PC users). No difference.

Reaction score
I sure would not trust a harddrive in a laptop that age, and this may be a part of that problem. If you get it going keep a backup of important files.
Sadly you paid way too much, those are not worth any money.

Reaction score
'Try starting up from my OS X disc.'

And how will you be getting your OS X disc to me? (I assume you saw the line in my original post where I say 'It obviously came with no disks')

Reaction score
'I sure would not trust a harddrive in a laptop that age, and this may be a part of that problem. If you get it going keep a backup of important files.
Sadly you paid way too much, those are not worth any money.'

Sadly, I guess Apple computers are not everything they're cracked up to be. I'm typing this response on a Dell Inspiron laptop running Windows XP that was brand spanking new in 2002. I stuck some extra memory in it years ago and it still runs great today - with it's original, pathetically small 30 GB HDD. Apparently I was mistaken about Apple's position in the computer hierarchy world.

Reaction score
Hi,

Apparently I was mistaken about Apple's position in the computer hierarchy world.
Not at all as with anything containing electrical circuit boards, there is a possibility of malfunctions especially with age. But with a product of the age you have bought I would have made sure it came with the original discs.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Agreed, without the original discs there's not much that can be done & they will likely be more expensive or at least as much as the Mac cost.

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I'm swimming in murky waters when dealing with Apple product....

So, unlike most PCs, these have no partition on the HDD enabling a factory reset? Without disks?

And with Windows computers it's not difficult to go online and find .iso image files for an operating system. You simply download the file, burn it to a DVD, pop it in the problematic PC and go through the steps of reformatting the old drive, installing the OS, and entering the Microsoft product key for your computer.

Does these sort of mechanics exist for this iBook G4?

Reaction score
Hi,

Could write a very long post here but will keep it short.
So, unlike most PCs, these have no partition on the HDD enabling a factory reset? Without disks?
Depends on which OS X you run, and you can even do a recovery from the internet now or USB. So more versatile than Win in this respect.;)
And with Windows computers it's not difficult to go online and find .iso image files for an operating system.
You can but Apple OS X disks from Apple, Amazon etc. (not downloaded pirate copies)o_O
Does these sort of mechanics exist for this iBook G4?
You need to find out model number and year as I am not sure if it would have come with Leopard which was released on October 26, 2007 as the successor of Tiger version 10.4. And you need the correct disks for the machine, as each Mac comes with it's own unique install media.

Reaction score
The detailed info on the back of the case identifies it as a model A1054, Rated 24Vdcm, 1.875A Max, 2003 Apple Computer Inc.

Reaction score
Hi,

Have a look here if you can get the Leopard instal disks it may be a go.
But remember you have a power pc not an intel.
http://lowendmac.com/2007/unsupported-os-x-10-5-leopard-installation/
I'm confused again.... In an earlier reply it was suggested that the computer was shipped with Mac OS X 10.3.3 which is Panther. Now you sent me a link to Leopard 10.5, a link that gives warnings about just what iBooks can and can't run 10.5. I've already supplied all the information that appears anywhere on this machine, and I have no idea if it's running
PowerBook G4/400 and 500 MHz, slow graphics
PowerBook G4/550 and 667 MHz (VGA), better graphics
or
PowerBook G4/667 and 800 MHz (DVI) or if there's something in the 'can not run' list that would apply to this machine.

Reaction score
Hi,

Could write a very long post here but will keep it short.

Depends on which OS X you run, and you can even do a recovery from the internet now or USB. So more versatile than Win in this respect.;)

You can but Apple OS X disks from Apple, Amazon etc. (not downloaded pirate copies)o_O

You need to find out model number and year as I am not sure if it would have come with Leopard which was released on October 26, 2007 as the successor of Tiger version 10.4. And you need the correct disks for the machine, as each Mac comes with it's own unique install media.
I actually wish you had given me a longer reply. When you say
'Depends on which OS X you run, and you can even do a recovery from the internet now or USB. So more versatile than Win in this respect.'
that sentence is of little help. I don't know what OS X this runs. And how do I perform this recovery from the internet? Do I have to use the iBook for that? That certainly ain't gonna happen. And what does 'or USB' mean? I know what a USB drive is, but how does that piece of hardware figure into my problem? That whole sentence might as well have been written in Portuguese for all the sense it made to this non-Apple person. And so far I've failed to encounter any of the versatility advantages you say exist.

I have already given the model number and year - on the back of the case it's identified it as a model A1054, Rated 24Vdcm, 1.875A Max, 2003 Apple Computer Inc. Now this forum has given me a third OS possibility - Tiger 10.3, to go along with Panther 10.3 and Leopard 10.5 (is there someone with a wild cat fetish in charge of product nomenclature at Apple?)

Reaction score
Hi,

This is an old product and I have no definitive answer re which OS X it would have been shipped with.
I have tried to give pointers maybe you should visit an apple care centre and they could tell you. But I feel that the expense would far out wight the machines value.

Reaction score
Here's a versatility point for Windows. Every PC comes with multiple areas on the case that clearly label the operating system, whether it be Windows 7, 8, Vista or XP. Microsoft doesn't feel constrained to make a guessing game out of determining their product's OS.

One kudo I will give Apple - this iBook G4 won't take up any more room in the local landfill than a Windows laptop. It just cost 3 times as much to reserve it's spot next to the coffee grounds and used condoms.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Your iBook could be one of 3 released over 2003/2004. Either way it shipped with 10.3 and may or may not have been upgraded.

Macs back in those days didn't have a recovery partition but they do now.

You won't know where you stand with the iBook until you source the original install media & try to boot from it.

It's up to you what you but do we cannot help you if you don't have the install media. Under the forum guidelines we cannot discuss any other method of obtaining the install media other than paying for it.

You need to make sure the discs are black & have a white X on them.

Have a look here for further info on your iBook:

Lookup Mac Specs By Serial Number

Here to purchase the discs:

Mac OS X 10.3 Panther

My suggestion is you start back at the original OS & if you can get the iBook running again, then look at upgrading it to either Tiger 10.4 or Leopard 10.5 (depending on which iBook you have)

Ask a Question