Multiple display/Extended desktop

Reaction score
Hi everyone

This is my first post, so sorry if this has been asked before or if I've done something wrong, I've never used a forum before!

I am trying to use my iMac(mid 2010-macOS Sierra) as a second display for my MacBook Pro retina (Late 2012-macOS Sierra) but can't get it to work. I have gone into display settings but the tab for displays is not there, I have then pressed the option key to reveal the displays button, but when I click on it, it does nothing. I have them connect via the HDMI from my MacBook into the mini display port on the iMac, is this right?

Thank you

Reaction score
I think you will need a mini display port to mini display port cable rather than HDMI to mini display port.

Reaction score
What a pain! I've just bought that as well haha. I assumed it would work as the MacBook is just HDMI out and there is only one input for the iMac which is the mini display one. Looks like its back to Amazon for a different cable! Thanks for the reply

Ask a Question