SOLVED Monitor Recommendation?

Reaction score
I'm looking for the best pair of 27" monitors to attach to a Mac Mini, at a reasonable price. Can anyone recommend monitors that will work well with the Mac but won't break the bank? I've been looking at Dell P2719H at about $210 each, but don't know about connections to the Mac. I've also looked at the HP 27FWA at a comparable price point. I'll pay a bit more if there's good reason to.

I don't need high-level graphics. I'm doing financial applications.

Many thanks for any suggestions!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Honestly, pretty much all of the monitors under $300 are very similar. Both of the ones you mentioned should be of the same quality...the difference is the manufacturer and the design.

I have been using an HP ProDisplay P240va connected to a MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015) via Mini Display Port to HDMI, and it works just fine. No issues to speak of. The two 27" models you listed are probably better than the 23.8" HP I am using.

The only thing to look at would be the connections, as you may need an adapter or two depending in the model of your Mac mini.

C

Reaction score
Thanks for your response, Cory. I've decided against purchasing the Mac Mini, and to continue instead using my MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017) and MacBook Air (13-inch, 2014), attaching each of them to a separate monitor. It's how I use them now, it's just that the screens are too small for the data I'm working with.

I expect I'll go ahead with the 27" monitors I've been considering, and use HDMI for the connections. I'd hoped to find a USB-C enabled monitor for the MacBook Pro, but the additional cost isn't justified given what I'm going to use it for. Once I get my screens setup and running I'll post some results.

Thank you very much for sharing your advice and experience, Cory. I very much appreciate it! Wishing you the very best for the coming year!

Randy

Reaction score
I'm looking for the best pair of 27" monitors to attach to a Mac Mini, at a reasonable price. Can anyone recommend monitors that will work well with the Mac but won't break the bank? I've been looking at Dell P2719H at about $210 each, but don't know about connections to the Mac. I've also looked at the HP 27FWA at a comparable price point. I'll pay a bit more if there's good reason to.

I don't need high-level graphics. I'm doing financial applications.

Many thanks for any suggestions!
Hi, I've been using Kogan 27" monitors as a second screen to my iMacs for a few years now, just recently graduated to a 32" 4k Kogan monitor and it's been fantastic. Using a HDMI adapter there is no problem. Recommend lashing out to get the original Apple adapter to avoid issues and any potential lag. There is a Kogan 27" 4k currently available for $339 directly from Kogan, well worth a look.

Reaction score
I'm not familiar with Kogan, but did a Google search and see that it's an Australian company. Maybe that's why it didn't come up in my scan for monitor reviews. I saw reviews from Europe and the U.S., but not Australia.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll take a look!

Reaction score
I've been using a pair of Dell E2414H monitors, which accept VGA and DVI-D connections, for the last 5-6 years now, with no issues other than an adapter for the Mac Mini which I use. I say "a pair" but only one is connected to the Mini; the other is connected to a Windows 10 box. You probably can't get these now, but I only paid $160 for each at Staples or Best Buy, can't remember which. These are basic "bare-bones" models, no height or tilt adjustment, but they mainly work. The adapter issue is the only thing you need to consider, because some monitor manufacturers don't put this info on the outside of their boxes, so I wound up going to the store to buy the monitors, and then going to the store again to buy an adapter I didn't know I needed.

Reaction score
Thanks for your post. I'm testing now with two ASUS PA278QV 27" monitors, and I think they're going to be keepers. On my MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2016) I've got a USB-C to DisplayPort cable connection that's working very well so far, with 2560 X 1400 resolution enabled. It's a very nice display, warm and easy on the eyes.

I'm do have an unresolved issue with my other setup, a MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2011) connecting with an HDMI to Thunderbolt adapter. The latest macOS this Mac runs on is macOS High Sierra v.10.13.6. The specifications say it can utilize 2560 X 1400 resolution, but so far I've only been able to get 1080p. Support instructions say to hold down the Command button while choosing Scale to get extended options, but so far 2560 X 1400 doesn't come up. I'm looking for a fix for that issue.

Until I find one, the 1080p resolution on the 27" monitor is still considerably better than peering into the 13" screen of the MacBook Air, trying to discern number tables. I'm fairly certain the resolution issue is with the MacBook and not the monitor.

Thanks for all the help everyone's offered. I appreciate it very much. I'll let the Forum know how the ASUS monitors perform over the longer haul. Again, many thanks!

Ask a Question