Monitor for iMac and Mac mini

Reaction score
Hi all

I have an old 4k Samsung TV.
My iMac screen is playing up.
I am sure I can connect the Samsung to my iMac, but don't know which connection on the TV to use, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Wayne
20231118_181738.jpg

Reaction score
Hi Wayne, and welcome to the forum.

Which iMac do you have and what did you mean by "My iMac screen is playing up"?

Reaction score
Hi

2016 iMac. The screen flickers occasionally.
I will probably replace it soon with a Mac mini, so this is just temporary.

Reaction score
Apple did not make a 2016 iMac. If you purchased it in 2016, its most likely a 2015 iMac.

You may be able to use a mini display port to HDMI cable. You would plug the mini display port side of the cable into one of the Thunderbolt ports on the back of your iMac.

The flickering however may be the graphics card, so the external display may flicker as well.

Reaction score
Apple did not make a 2016 iMac. If you purchased it in 2016, its most likely a 2015 iMac.

You may be able to use a mini display port to HDMI cable. You would plug the mini display port side of the cable into one of the Thunderbolt ports on the back of your iMac.

The flickering however may be the graphics card, so the external display may flicker as well.
Thanks Maccsbug.
I purchased a cable and TV works fine as a temporary monitor and does not flicker. So must be something other than the graphics card causing the problem.
Many thanks
Wayne

Ask a Question