Mini Mac Migration

Reaction score
I have a 2014 mini (Monterey ), hardwired, and just bought a 2023 Mini 2 (assume Sonoma). I have not begun the migration. Many questions. I am familiar with migration but not enough to know how selective I can be and how to avoid migrating trash.

For example, I went into Mini2014 about this mac/apps and found that I have dozens of 32 bit apps or partial apps. Monterey doesn't run 32 bit. Where are they? Everything on the 2014 is running fairly smoothly. I just have a long wait time on some apps like Chromebook. I type a few words here and the spinner starts for a good minute or two.

My goal is to have a fresh, virtually crisp Mini 2023 without all the possible junk. Updated apps and such. I do some basic Word and Excell docs, Gimp Photo Editing, multiple browsers but primarily chromebook use. Imail that isn't working right, Printer apps and support, both Epson. I have EntreCheck on here. Had Clean My Mac but got rid of it per another forum suggestion. I do not consider myself a power user. I have M2014 backed up with Time Machine to the external and some stuff to iCloud and Google Drive.

I also would like some guidance on what I might need for new cables or adapters. I use multiple USB 2 cables some with a hub, one firewire, and other basic connections. USBs include two printers, logi tech camera, 5tb external drive. Then there is the Monitor and its basic connection on the 2014.

Thoughts? Thank you.

Reaction score
What does “hardwired” mean. Do you have the two Macs already connected? Did you try Target Disk Mode on the 2014 Mac mini?

First thing I would do is make a Time Machine backup of the old mini, then test if Target Disk Mode works so that the new mini sees the old mini as a disk drive. I have not done such a large step of migration but I think macOS Sonoma is savvy enough to be able to filter out incompatible files. Otherwise there are numerous utilities for sorting out those issues. It’s also important to migrate associated files from the older apps so that your settings get transferred for updated versions of those apps to adopt.

The new mini being brand new, it won’t be that much hassle to restore it to factory condition should you experience problems with the migration. Good luck and congratulations on your new Mac!

Reaction score
Thank you, Tony.
By hardwired I mean, ethernet cable not wifi.
I do not know what Target Disk Mode is?? Will try google.

Any suggestions on utilities to sort out some of these issues is appreciated.
Thank you for the confidence in just reverting to factory mode on the new mini. Good thought.

Reaction score
On the older Mac, to get into Target Disk Mode, from shutdown, power up and immediately hold down the “T” key until the floating icon appears on the screen. If you are connected to the new Mac, it should show up as a connected external drive.

Ask a Question