Mini-DVI to TV HDMI -- sound?

Reaction score
I have successfully connected my MacBook (OS X) to either of my flat-screen TVs using mini-DVI to HDMI input (with Mirroring on), but am unable to access sound output from the TV. Looking at Utilities/System Information/Audio, HDMI isn't listed so apparently my MacBook is too old for that option. However, using the Headphone jack to the L/R audio input on the TVs also does not produce sound output from the TV, although I've tried to access sound using every Menu option on the TV.

Is there anything else I can try? Is there a way to go from the Headphone jack to an iPod speaker system, for example?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

When going from Mini-DVI output from the Mac, audio is not passed. Only HDMI passes audio and video.

Some TVs will not allow audio from another source when connected via HDMI. That may be why you aren't getting audio on the TV. Have you tried switching the TV to the input that the audio from the MacBook is connected to? You won't have video, but you should get audio.

Does your TV have a DVI input?

C

Reaction score
My old Mac has no HDMI output. My new TV has AV-DVI input. I tried going from mini-DVI (Mac) to DVI to TV, but didn't get sound that way either. If that should have worked, I'll try it again and re-check all possible controls on the menu.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
DVI doesn't carry audio. You could do the Mini-DVI to DVI on the TV, and an audio cable from the Mac to the TV. Make sure the audio is assigned to the DVI input on the TV and you should have sound.

C

Ask a Question