SOLVED Migration Assistant Problems

Reaction score
I'm trying to migrate my files, photos, settings, etc from an old 2011 500GB Mac Mini with High Sierra to a new 1 TB Mac Mini with High Sierra. I am using a direct HDMI to HDMI cable. I have followed the instructions carefully. It only worked once (more below*).

When you start the migration process, you have a choice of starting the old and new computer migration first. I have tried it both ways and even as simultaneously as possible. The new computer tries to find the source and the old computer offers itself as a source. They don't find each other. Wondering if it just took a long time, I let them both try to find each other for 24 hours. No luck.

* The one time it worked, I ended up with 2-6 duplicates on all my photos, and 3 user names and it took an hour to delete the user names to get to a single one that was an admin.

I have erased the disk on the new Mac Mini 3 times and tried again, only to get no success with Migration Assistant. The old 2011 Mac Mini is working (using that now). I have tried Migration Assistant a dozen times. I've used Migration Assistant before and it worked fine (there was a Mac Mini between this old Mac Mini and the newest one).

I see some possibilities. Migration Assistant no longer works. There is some difference in my old and new Mac Minis that prevents migration. The app has changed and I'm not understanding the change. I'm stupid.

Any suggestions?

Reaction score
It never occurred to me that HDMI might be the problem! In any case, after failing with a direct Mac-to-Mac Migration several timnes, I copied the old Mac to My Passport and then Migrated from that to the new Mac. Worked perfectly! Photos (with no duplicates), user, settings, bookmarks, docs, everything but Appe email (but AOL solved that).

Ask a Question