SOLVED Managing desktop

Reaction score
I believe something has changed but I do not know what. In the past when I had more than one app window open on the desktop, like Safari and Excel, I could just click the one I wanted to work on and both remained open. Now when I click one, the other "disappears". If I minimize one the other stays visible, and I can go to the dock to reopen the window. If I don't minimize I can't seem to have two windows visible anymore. And I am not sure how to bring back the "missing" window. What settings do I have to change to restore the ability to keep more than one app visible?

I am using Safari Version 12.1.1 (13607.2.6.1.2), and OS 10.13.6 (17G7024)

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

It may have something to do with Mission Control and Spaces. Check in  > System Preferences... > Mission Control. Let us know what your settings are - what is checked.

C

Reaction score
Here it is. I had tried variouscombination of setting ut coul not find one that worked.

Reaction score
Hello,

It may have something to do with Mission Control and Spaces. Check in  > System Preferences... > Mission Control. Let us know what your settings are - what is checked.

C
I should add that to get safari to reappear, I can double click the safari icon in the dock. And when I do not minimize an excel window it does not appear in the dock. if I have a safari widow active, all excel windows will reappear if I double click the excel icon in the dock,but safari disappears.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

-Could it have to do with the buttons of your mouse? What brand/model is it?
-What happens if you use the Command-Tab Application Switcher key combination?

C

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
BTW - If you hold the Option key down when clicking an Application in the Dock, it hides the windows of other applications. Maybe there is a settings somewhere that is forcing an Option-click?

C

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

-Could it have to do with the buttons of your mouse? What brand/model is it?
-What happens if you use the Command-Tab Application Switcher key combination?

C
When I use the Application Switcher It brings up a screen offering app choices.

My mouse is a Logitech 510. No button is programmed to any desktop function.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK

In your Mission Control screenshot, it shows that Mission Control is Mouse Button 4 and Show Dashboard is Mouse Button 3. Maybe there are other buttons assigned somewhere, or those could be defaults with a four-button mouse?

Did you install any Logitech software for the 510...Logitech Control Center or Logitech Options ?

C

Reaction score
After a lot of searching and learning about Spaces I solved the problem.

Somewhere along the way I had created multiple desktops. I opened the Mission Control app. It showed three desktops. I deleted two and the problem went away. i can have multiple Apps open in a single window now, which is what I wanted. I had never opened Mission Control while trying to solve the problem, only its preferences in Systems.

Ask a Question