Mail unexpected download of emails

Reaction score
On the settings page for Mail, I have it set to manually check for new emails. This has worked fine for years. Each user has their own personal definition of spam, which is why I don't depend on spam filters. I prefer to first go to the website of my email provider and delete unwanted emails, along with transfer wanted emails out of spam folder. My second step is go to Mail on my Mac and manually activate download of new emails. A problem arose when I switched my email to @outlook.com. For some reason, Outlook ignores the Mail setting for manually check for new emails. I have recently checked the Mail settings and find that it is still set for manually check for new emails. Consequently I receive an unexpected flood of new emails, some of which are unwanted. I thought that the email client preferences have preference over the email provider. As a consequence, I can't keep up with my email. Also I now don't open the Mail application unless it is necessary. Now I sometimes don't check my email for days, because of not having time for the flood of unwanted emails.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which model Mac?
-Which version of OS X?
-Who was your email provider before you moved to outlook.com?
-How is your account setup in Mail - IMAP or POP?

C

Ask a Question