Mail passwords disappear

Reaction score
At unpredictable intervals, passwords for ISP accounts in Mail 'disappear', forcing me to re-enter them. Just now the worst ever, 6-7 occurences in a few minutes. Is this a Mail bug? Or is the ISP server somehow deleting the password?

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
This has been happening to me for ages and over the past 48hrs it's been a real PITA. I read that you need to go into Keychain and delete the stored email account passwords then go back to Mail.app and re-enter them when the pop-up ask for the password, and tick the "remember in keychain" box - sounds like a silly Catch-22 doesn't it

Reaction score
Nope!

This appears to happen when Mail doesn't get an expected response from the Mail Server.

The best thing to do is click Cancel, then try again, if it still asks you again check Connection Doctor to see if the server is available, but what ever you do don't start entering in random passwords.

We get this support call a lot as many places here have bad internet, and noisy phonel ines.

Reaction score
Grateful for your replies. Yesterday was trouble free. Today is another story.... My other PITA problem has reappeared: error messages that "the connection timed out" – er, it's an always on broadband account. I have to quit Mail and relaunch, then input 2x ISP account passwords again. So far eight times today, shortest interval between occurrences about two minutes.
I've taken this up with the main ISP, who of course deny that it could be a fault in their server and tell me to contact Apple....

Ask a Question