mail does not print addresses

Reaction score
Hi,I have just come off the phone with Apple support. They have spent a lot of time on this but are unable to come up with a solution.
Mail: The headers appear like this
Apple [email protected] - (This line in Bold other lines grey)
To:(e-mail address removed)
Reply-To:(e-mail address removed)
Your Apple ID information has been updated
But print like this:
Apple-(This line in Bold)
Your Apple ID information has been updated
21 july 2016 at13.43
Note no addresses are printed although they are there faintly in the print preview. Also the fact that original on screen text is faint makes it very difficult for my wife to see as she has sight problems.
This is not a printer problem as printing from my webmail is fine.
This has been going on for a long time prior to updating to Elcapitan.
macbook pro os 10.11.6 /mail Version 9.3 (3124)
Any ideas much appreciated
Artio

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

My first thought would be settings in Mail > Preferences... > Fonts & Colors. Have you changed any of the defaults there?

C

Reaction score
Hi Cory,
Thanks for reply.I went through the preferences with Apple support and they couldn'find anything.I haven,t changed anything in mine(see pic) but my wife has changed to her preffered font and we both have the same print problem. fonts prefs.jpg
Artio
fonts prefs.jpg

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK...thanks for the additional information and screenshot. My default fonts are different:
mailfont.png

I will look into this today and report back to ensure what the default fonts are in Mail. This could be part of the issue.

C

Reaction score
I did a quick search and came up with this from osxdaily.com. " The Lucida Grande font is known for its crisp and obvious readability which makes it a great user interface font, and it rightfully served as the Mac OS X default system font for many years. Then along came Yosemite, where the Mac system font was changed to the generally unpopular Helvetica Neue. Apple has since improved font readability considerably by changing the default system font yet again in OS X El Capitan, this time to a new font called San Francisco." I see that I still have the Helvetica Neue even though I have upgraded to El Capitan.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Yes, San Francisco is the new System font in El Capitan. That is what my screenshot is showing, since the user doesn't have direct access to that font. You could try changing your fonts to:

Message list font: Lucida Grande Regular 12
Message font: Helvetic Regular 12
Fixed-width font: Menlo Regular 11

You can reset Mail to all defaults by deleting the plist files, but that may require a bit of setup again, and I would hate for you to lose your saved emails and settings. Plus, it would be best to have a current Time Machine or other backup of your data before attempting anything invasive.

C

Reaction score
Hi, I posted my problem on Streetlife my local social network and it has been solved. Dmitriy suggested it could be a problem with the ink cartridges. I only use the black cartridge and always print Fast Draft. I changed the printer pre set to Black and White and it printed the addresses! They are still faint as they are on screen and in print preview(don't know why this is) but at least do print now.
Artio

Ask a Question