macbook pro wont load osx

Reaction score
hi all

i am new to mac and have a problem
i purchased a second hand macbook pro from a used selling site with no hdd and no power

searched the internet and found the power button jumper on the logic board and replaced keyboard. now powers up ok

the problem is i installed a used 250gb windows formatted drive and it ran windows from the drive. however when i put osx mountain lion dvd (after formatting hdd with windows setup disk) all i get is the folder?

i can install windows7 and ubuntu but i cant get osx to install

anyone know what in doing wrong 3 days i have been trying to solve the problem or is there a patch or something for the windows serial as i cant key in the serial for windows7

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

To install Mac OS X, the hard drive needs to be reformatted as GUID Partition Map and OS X Extended (Journaled). You will lose all of the Windows files when you repartition the drive.

-How did you make the Mountain Lion Install DVD? If it wasn't created properly, you wont be able to startup from it to proceed with installation.

C

Reaction score
hi thanks for the reply

i was given the dvd with the macbook he said it was a backup

do you know how i can format the drive i only have windows based systems or do i need to find someone with a mac

Reaction score
Did you just stick the DVD in the drive, or did you boot form it? Also, it is difficult to tell what exactly is on the DVD.

If it is indeed bootable, what you need to do is after you pout the DVD in the drive, shut off your machine. Then, start it up again, and hold dow the C at the same time. Keep holding down the C key until the machine either boots from the DVD (hopefully that will be the case), or it does not (that would not be what you want).

Also, do you know how old the drive is that you put in the machine? Also, what make and model is it?

Reaction score
i think it was a WD (western digital) if it is important i will open it up again to have a look

the bootable bit i will have to have a look at
i may have to purchase one

i have googled how to reformat the drive in journaled but cant find anything useful

Reaction score
Western Digital drives are somewhat notorious for not behaving well with Macs. But, the age of it could be more of a concern.

Also, you need to try the "C" business, like I mentioned above, to see if you can boot your Mac from that DVD. It will be impossible to tell that when you are in Windows.

If you can boot your machine via the DVD, then we can help you to Erase, Format, and if necessary, partition the Western Digital Drive. Part of that Formatting process will result in the drive becoming Journaled.

Reaction score
Oh in that case no it will not boot from the cd/dvd it just keeps going to the folder? Screen i downloaded mountain lion yesterday from an internet source just to test but that does not load either i have also tried holding "R" but that does nothing either

Ask a Question