Macbook Pro USB and hdmi ports independent or not?

Reaction score
Here's my issue. I work on a small video production. The show now wants to incorporate Skype calls into the show. I plan on using a Turtle Beach Amigo II USB card to send the Skype caller's audio from the Macbook's USB port to a speaker so the host can hear and also to send the host's microphone back to the Skype caller. Simple. The problem arises when the director needs to use the hdmi port to send the Skype caller's audio and video to an external recording device. My thought is that the USB and HDMI ports do NOT work independently of each other and that the HDMI port will override what I'm trying to accomplish with the USB port. Does this sound correct? I need the two ports to work independently of each other. Thanks for any advice!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which version of OS X?
-Which version of Skype?

You may need another piece of software like Soundflower to create additional audio routing, including a mix-minus, so the caller doesn't hear their own audio feed. You may also get some good advice at Skype > Community > Skype for computer and Xbox > Mac. Podcasters have to use a setup like this, as do radio and other television stations.

C

Ask a Question