Macbook Pro Liquid Damage

Reaction score
About 2 months ago, my wife spilled a soda on her MBP. We had taken it to a repair shop and they had declared it toast. I have no clue as to how thorough an investigation they did. Since then, I had replaced it with another and it was set aside. Originally intending to sell it for salvage, I decided that I would look at it since I had nothing to lose. I hooked up the charger to it and opened the lid and it powered up. I get a apple logo with a progress bar underneath that takes 2-3 minutes, and it goes to the login page. I see that the top it says 'safe boot'. Track pad seems to work. I click on her name and I get the login box. I start to enter her password and note that as I hit the keys, they are entering the character twice, then I got to the 'y' and it didn't work. Keyboard is obviously messed up. I have watched some u-tube videos of keyboards being cleaned, and although the job looks tedious and somewhat difficult, I feel that I could probably do it. I am thinking that if I hold down a certain key while turning it on, I could get around entering the password and take note of what it is doing and have an idea if after cleaning the keyboard I would find bigger problems. I would appreciate advice from those that are more knowledgable that I. I believe it is OSX 10.8.5.
arc

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Without knowing the full extent of the liquid damage, it sounds like at least the keyboard has been affected as you mentioned. I would guess that more components will fail over time, especially with the corrosive nature of soda. I wouldn't advise trying to clean the keyboard, as it is actually part of the top case itself and cannot be accessed fully to cleanup the soda 100%. It is more difficult to do than you think.

If you don't plan on repairing the MBP, then it is really up to you. But, if you perform the cleaning, you could end up breaking key caps/scissors, causing more liquid damage, or damaging/breaking other components.

Just my $.02,

C

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply and advice. This MBP might really be toast. It seems to me that liquid damage might be the worst thing that can ever happen to a Mac.
arc

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Yes, liquid damage is the worst thing for all electronics, followed by physical damage.

God luck and be well.

C

Ask a Question