MACBOOK PRO can't install OS

Reaction score
SO, i have a macbook pro that was given to me from a client. It was dropped and the harddrive must have jarred but is inoperable. I replaced the HD. I do not have any media to go along with the laptop. HOW DO I LOAD AN OS? I (being a windows support tech for 15 years) thought i could dl a via a torrent an OS to load, tried all that i could find about 15 different ones of starting with 10.5 - 10.6.7 and couldn't get any to load. I either get the screen frozen or a prompt that says OS cannot be loaded on this system. I've even tried to DL some macbook pro OS's. What can i do?

Reaction score
No you need the DVD from a Mac of the same model or a correct full retail version. You can not steal a copy or expect us to help you steal a copy, stick to windows.

Reaction score
I'm not trying to steal a copy. With windows you can DL a retail CD and use your install code from your machine. What i'm looking for is something of the same sort. I'm not a thief. I'm not even sure what version of the OS was installed. Can I order one from MAC with the serial number or something?

Reaction score
Contact your local Apple Store, I'm sure they will help.
So the fastest, most honest and correct answer isn't helpful. It shows you really do have 15yrs in windows support.

Using torrents isn't always stealing!
only when you use them to seal something. Trying to download an Apple OS via Torrent is stealing. Sorry if my being helpful doesn't agree with your moral code.

Reaction score
Yes, I appreciate your answer contact my local apple store. I'm not trying to get into an argument over a mac. I had no idea i could contact the mac store about obtaining an OS. Did this MAC come with an OS? If the HD drives can i get a replacement? Will i be able to order a replacement OS from the manufacturer? At least with windows the licensing is on the outside of the PC any most any retail verison of the software can load and you don't have to pay for the same OS all over again. that's what i'm used too, so i have no idea about a mac. But thanks for your help anyways!

Ask a Question