Macbook: Mojave to Catalina help

Reaction score
I have a 2017 Macbook running Mojave 10.14.6. I wish to download software such as iMovie but the App Store will no longer allow me to as it says my OS is too old to support it. Frustratingly, there appears to be no options, that I can find, available to download older versions. Therefore, I need to update my OS but the only option my computer shows is Big Sur. I am extremely nervous about installing this because in the past I have installed updates on Apple devices and they have practically rendered the device unusable (slowed-down the machine exponentially). Another option I considered is an upgrade to Catalina but once again, this option does not seem to be available within Software Updates. Any advice regarding if Catalina would slow down my machine substantially and if not, how to install it would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Edit: just noticed I may have posted this in the wrong forum. Apologies, will try and delete and repost it!

Reaction score
Be aware that Catalina will only run 64 bit apps, so that may be a consideration if any of your 3rd party apps are 32 bit

Reaction score
Be aware that Catalina will only run 64 bit apps, so that may be a consideration if any of your 3rd party apps are 32 bit
Appreciate the link but my PC will currently not allow me to connect to it. I will keep trying though. Very good point regarding the 64 bit issue. Thanks for your help Lufbrarunner.

Ask a Question