Macbook boot issue: Machintosh HD couldn't be verified completly

Reaction score
Hello. I was watching youtube video when my mackbook pro retina turned off. When i tried to turn on it, i had no success: OS X starts loading and then my mac turns off again.

1) I tried some options to fix this issue:

2) I tried Recovery HD - same result. It starts loading and then turns off

3) I tried to use Disk Utility to check and repair my HD (Command+R during startup -> Disk Utility). So DU doesn't see Machintosh HD volume and i cant check it to repair

4) I tried to reinstall OS X and during installiation instructions i couldn't proceed because i wasn't able to select any volume to install OS X (there was empty list)

5) I tried fsck and /sbin/fsck_hfs and i get next errors after "**Checking catalog file" raw:
a) Failed to issue CON RESET successfully after 3 attempts. Failing...
b) disk0s2: no such device
c) The volume Machintosh HD could not be verified completly
d) disk0s2: no such device
e) Failed to send exception EXC-CORPSE_NOTIFY. error code: 5 for pid 58
f) /dev/rdisk0s2(hfs) EXITED WITH SIGNAL 10
h) After this my mac turns off again

6) I tried verbose boot option - same result

7) I tried single-user mode and i got some kind of success: i can navigate through my folders and files and watch content of my files. It seems that my data is OK and hard drive too, isn't is? But when i try to create new file (touch file for example), i get an error, that fs is mounted in read-only and i can't mount it in read write mode. Also i get "I/O errors"

So can you help me with some advice? I thought that my HD is dead but i can access and read my files in single-user mode, but I can't mount flash drive or copy files. What do you think about this? Is there any way to backup my data on flash device? And should i try something or i should go to Service Center?

Thx

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which model MacBook Pro?
-Which version of OS X?
-Do you know how much free space was left on the hard drive?
-Were you experiencing any general slowness/hanging before this power off issue?
-Does the MBP have any physical damage or has it ever had liquid spilled on it?

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which model MacBook Pro?
-Which version of OS X?
-Do you know how much free space was left on the hard drive?
-Were you experiencing any general slowness/hanging before this power off issue?
-Does the MBP have any physical damage or has it ever had liquid spilled on it?

C

MBP Late 2013
OS X El Captain
About 150 GB free space
No there were no slowness/hanging issues before power off issue
No physical damage

Thx

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
It sounds like it is a hardware problem. It would probably be prudent to take it in to an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider for diagnosis. If you have another Mac with Thunderbolt, you may be able to startup in Target Disk Mode and connect it to another Mac to copy data. But, it depends on what the actual issue is.

C

Ask a Question