Mac won't remember my wifi passwords

Reaction score
In the past, my MacBook Air was able to remember all my wifi passwords for various venues where I use wifi.
But recently it has stopped remembering them. Every time I open my computer I have to tell it to connect.
Then, when I choose the wifi network, it asks me for the password.
This is despite the fact that I have previously entered the password, and told it to remember the password at that time.
I have not changed any settings.

Reaction score
Hi,

Not saying this is your issue, but as you keep getting asked for a password, possibly something is amiss with the Keychain.
Open your utilities folder > Keychain Access. Now take a look at the list of stored passwords and find the one associated with the SSID of the wireless network you are trying to connect to then right click it, and select get info.
Now look at the access control setting, and make sure the ask for keychain password box is not ticked. Here is a screen shot of my WiFi.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-11-24 at 20.17.58.png
    Screen Shot 2012-11-24 at 20.17.58.png
    44.2 KB · Views: 606
Reaction score
@oldscribe

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried that and the "ask for password" box was not checked, so that's not the problem.

I should clarify one thing. My home wifi does not ask me for a password. But it does ask me to select the wifi network each time I open my computer (whereas before it automatically connected as soon as I opened my computer).

It's all the other wifi networks I use outside of my home (such as cafes, etc) that always ask for the password now

Reaction score
System Preference > Network, select WiFi and click Advanced ensure Wi-Fi is selected then (-) Minus out ALL Preferred Networks.

Turn off Remember networks this computer has joined, quit System Preferences.

Go to the same place and Turn Remember networks this computer has joined back on.

This should clear the problem of it not remembering.

Ask a Question