Mac PCle question

GPH

Reaction score
Hi All, hope you are well.

I have a 27inch imac that came with a SATA fusion drive which I'd like to be more responsive opening-closing adobe apps.

Looked into SSD's and the speeds seem better on a pcle than a sata.
However, The only one I can tell for certain that will work is this ( , as Im pretty sure its a x2 (whatever that means).

My question is, would you advice doing the foloowing

Just go sata as the port will slow down a PCIe anyway?
or
Install the OWC ssd and also keep the HHD?
or
Try and find an adapter that will fit a standard m2 ssd?
or
try and find a thunderbolt 2 case and put an ssd in that (costly?)

Cost is at the heart of the question really
And also ive read some drive/software/hardware wont work on the mac etc

Thanks so much I'm ok with a screwdriver and old macs but not so up on IT and newer parts as you can see!

Cheers!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I would suggest possibly forgoing the internal drive swap, and use an external Thunderbolt drive. Performing iMac internal upgrades/repairs can be tricky depending on the model, and other internal componenets can easily be damaged without the proper procedure and experience.

-Which exact model iMac?
-Which version of macOS?
-Which version of the Adobe Creative Suite apps?

Honestly, the Adobe Creative Suite can run somewhat slowly even on the current Mac models.

C

GPH

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I would suggest possibly forgoing the internal drive swap, and use an external Thunderbolt drive. Performing iMac internal upgrades/repairs can be tricky depending on the model, and other internal componenets can easily be damaged without the proper procedure and experience.

-Which exact model iMac?
-Which version of macOS?
-Which version of the Adobe Creative Suite apps?

Honestly, the Adobe Creative Suite can run somewhat slowly even on the current Mac models.

C

Thanks Cory!

Yes I thought a thunderbolt may be the way to go, however, I don't seem to be able to find a cost-effective thunderbolt (2) enclosure :(
In fact, this would be so perfect!

- The model, is a late 2014 imac
- Catalina 10.15.7
- latest Creative suite

Also a mid 2015 but apparently OWC don't suggest opening this up as the PCle
is apparently hiding?!

Thanks for the reply!!

G

Ask a Question