SOLVED Mac Owner Name

Reaction score
I have a reasonably new MacBook And iPad. When I send files using Airdrop it lists my iPad with someone’s else’s name (a friend on Facebook). I looked to see how to change the name of my iPad but it already has my name as the owner. Why does my laptop use this other person’s name each time I transfer from laptop to iPad?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

First thing I would check is to see if your friend's account is singed into anything on the iPad - iCloud, Facebook app, etc.

C

Reaction score
The friend has never used my iPad and there was only one occasion when I visited him and had my iPad with me. I know for sure though that there’s no way he had access to it. He does have smart gadgets In his house and I wonder if one of them somehow attached itself to my iPad while I was there.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK.

Devices may have connected, but that wouldn't change the name of the iPad. So, the iPad shows your name in Settings > General > About > Name?

C

Reaction score
Yes, it has the correct name there. I tried Airdrop from my husband’s iPad and it shows the correct name. It only seems to do it from my Mac. I opened Airdrop on my Mac and, sure enough, it picked up both my husband and my iPad, with mine having the wrong name. How do I remove it from my Mac Airdrop so that I can hopefully reconnect it with the same name? I’ve never even had my Mac out of my home so why it chose that name I’ve no idea!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

I would make sure you restart your Mac on a regular basis. Also, maybe check your Contacts application to look for that friend's name.

C

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

I would make sure you restart your Mac on a regular basis. Also, maybe check your Contacts application to look for that friend's name.

C
I’ve restarted my Mac now and it is still happening. I do have that name in my Contacts but why would it choose that one name?

Okay, you mentioned my Contacts, so I looked in there and it had that person’s card marked as ‘My Card’ for some reason so, when I deleted it, my Mac is now displaying my iPad’s name In Airdrop. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

Last edited:

Ask a Question