Mac Mini starting up showing desktop then blacking out !...

Reaction score
Hello ....Thanks for letting me join your forum , I am sure you advice will help me out .

I have a Mac mini 2.6 GHz Intel Core i5 , running 2 screens , the main screen is a 22" FlexsScan S2231W, the other smaller screen is a 19" Samsung. What has happened recently is the Mac -mini starts up okay on both the screens , I put my password in on the main screen to open up the desktop ...this opens up okay then after about 5 mins the screens goes black!...

I have recently been having some internet problems as in warnings about network settings, proxy and port settings. I tried to get rid of the 'Yahoo' search engine that comes up everytime I open google up . I do not know whether I have done something in the preference settings to cause this screen blacking out problem .

I have disconnected the Thunderbolt cable for the main screen and am just using the small screen , hoping this is okay to use like this , it seems to be working, but I am still having minor internet problems.

Any advice would be appreciated , please bear in mind I am not that good at sorting out my computer problems, I tend to make things worse !...........If you think this is a problem that can be solved by me using your advice, or do I need to get my informatic guy in to have a look at it .

Kind regards

KarlP

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-How are the displays connected - which display on which connection on the mini?
-Is it only the Eizo display that is blacking out? Does it happen if you only have a singe display connected?
-What brands/models are any display cable adapters you are using?
-Try downloading and running Malwarebytes for Mac to resolve the Yahoo! issue, as it may be malware.

C

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply Cory
I have tried connecting the Eizo , running it on its own and running it with it connected up to a HDMI connector ...same problem , its keeps blacking out , when I touch the power button on the screen it comes back on for about 5 mins then goes black .
I am running the small Samsung display on the Thunderbolt VGA and this is working fine , so it is not the mac mini that is the problem. The Thunderbolt cable adapters are both Apple brand.

On the Malwarebytes for mac , I am interested in downloading this to finally solve this Yahoo problem, if I do could it cause any extra malware issues.

many thanks

KarlP

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

Sounds like there may be an issue with the Eizo then. Maybe there is an Energy Saver setting on the Eizo that could be changed?

Malwarebytes won't cause any malware, it will remove any that it knows about. It is the go to application for that.

C

Ask a Question