Mac Mini / monitor issue.

Reaction score
I have a late 2012 mac mini and recently purchased a new monitor. The monitor has an HDMI connection and a display port connection. The HDMI connection is connected to my imac in a dual monitor setup. I attempted to connect my Mac Mini via Thunderbolt out to display port in. When connected with thunderbolt to displayport, the only thing that shows on the monitor is my desktop background picture (no dock, file folders or keyboard - mouse). The mouse and keyboard are Apple wireless. When the Mac Mini is connected HDMI to HDMI, everything operates as it should. Any thoughts? Thank You.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

For clarification...
  • What brand/model is the display?
  • You are connecting the iMac to the HDMI port of the external display, and the mini to the DisplayPort port of the display, so you can switch between them?
  • Are you using a Thunderbolt (Mini DisplyPort) to DisplayPort adapter for the mini? If so, which brand/model?
I thought you were connecting the mini to the iMac using target display mode and trying to connect an external display as a second display.

C

Reaction score
Hi,

For clarification...
  • What brand/model is the display?
  • You are connecting the iMac to the HDMI port of the external display, and the mini to the DisplayPort port of the display, so you can switch between them?
  • Are you using a Thunderbolt (Mini DisplyPort) to DisplayPort adapter for the mini? If so, which brand/model?
I thought you were connecting the mini to the iMac using target display mode and trying to connect an external display as a second display.

C
The display is an acer. The Mini has a thunderbolt 2 port. I am trying to connect the Mini to the monitor with a thunderbolt 2 to display port cable (i have the cable, do I need an adapter?). The iMac is a M1 and it's brand new. It is connected to the monitor with a USB C Tbolt 4 to HDMI cable and works fine. I am not trying to connect the mini to the imac, I am trying to connect both to the same monitor. The monitor has 2 HDMI ports and 1 display port. I use HDMI 1 to connect to the iMac, HDMI 2 is used for my Windows laptop that also works fine. The thing I am stuck on is the Mini to the monitor (desktop background picture only appears). When we are using the monitor, we only use it with 1 of the 3 devices at a time. In other words, we never have the Imac, mini and laptop powered on at the same time and connected to the monitor. Hope that helps.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks, I understand the setup now. ;)

If you have a Mini DisplayPort (Thunderbolt 2) to DisplayPort cable, you don't need an adapter.
  • Is the Acer the only display connected to the Mac mini?
  • Have you tried connecting the mini HDMI to HDMI?
  • Maybe there is overscan happening - have you checked the mini and the Acer for any overscan settings?
C

Ask a Question