Mac Mini load fan noise

Reaction score
Hi all, I noticed my mini cpu fan went loud just after I pressed the start button. I faced similar problem last month & shut down the system. Detached all connections & reattached them. It worked fine. I want to know why cpu fan goes loud and is it something to worry?

Reaction score
The fans normally go full until the system software monitors all the temperature sensors, then it spins the fans down to the right speed. That way if a sensor fails it doesn't cook the device.

Reaction score
Hi,

As far as I am aware it is your MacOS X that controls the fan, so it is entirely possible that behavior between systems will vary based on the MacOS X install itself. As such, I must ask if this occurs with a screen saver or is it across the board so to speak?

You may be getting this fan noise as a result of something else on your system which is interfering with the MacOS X install.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply!!!

I am sharing what happened today.

I came to office and pressed the power button on Mini. The light took time to show up. Now this is first indication that fan will go loud. And yes, after 5-8 seconds, when white light came on CPU, the fan become aloud. I restarted from the login screen and that didn't help. So, again from login screen I shut down the Mac.

Every time, the below process has helped me, including today.

When my Mac shut down completely, I switch off the power button & take out all connections & then reapply all connections and switch on the power source. Then I press the power button of Mini and it boot normally.

So it might be the power source itself coming from the switch board?? Can't be sure though.

Ask a Question