SOLVED Mac Mini Linux

Reaction score
I have a 2011 Mac Mini that I installed Linux mint on and it's working great. Now I want to go back to the Apple os and having no luck. I have an install flash drive and then I boot and select the keys to boot to my install flash it just goes to the spinning globe and eventually gets to where it wants to install over the internet which I guess would be ok but then it always fails saying it's missing files. I really just want to install from my flash drive but can't seem to get the option. Hope that all makes sense.

Reaction score
When you installed Mint did you erase the drive? If so you will need to boot from the installer and reformat the drive to MacOS Extended Journalled before installing OS X.

Hope this helps

Reaction score
yes I erased the drive andI also formatted the drive with os ext journalled but still can't install os. So confusing as I have done this many times. I am actually a retired engineer and have worked on pc's for years but for some reason can't install os since I installed linux on it. Been working on it for hours with no luck.

Reaction score
You say that you are trying to install from a flash drive, but you're also saying that its trying to do an internet install?

What version of the macOS are you trying to install on the mini?

What are the key commands that you are trying to use in order to boot with the flash drive?

Reaction score
Yes trying to install from a flash drive using option key to boot but never get the option. Instead of installing from my flash drive it goes to screen to download os and that always fails. I know I am doing something wrong but have done it many times. So confused.

Reaction score
Make sure that you are using a wired keyboard when you are trying this.

What version of OS X is on the flash drive?

Have you verrified that there is an installer on the drive, and that its bootable?

Reaction score
What happens if you hold down command-r on power up? Does it take you into recovery mode?

Reaction score
yes. I have been working on it for hours and have no idea what happened but I finally got it installed. I tried so many diffrerent things over hours to be honest I don't know what I did to get it going but it is. :)

Reaction score
Congrats on getting things setup finally.

Suggestion if you want to install linux again, and are up for a challenge... try installing ESXi first. Then you can run multiple OS'es at the same time. I did this years ago on my 2011 Mac mini.

Ask a Question