Mac Mini 2014 and Big Sur compatibility

Reaction score
My wife's Mac Mini 2014 is running OS 10.14.6 Mohave and Big Sur upgrade compatibility says it will run on it. I would like to know if anyone else has installed Big Sur on a 2014 Mac Mini sucessfully and if it runs OK. There are few third party programs on this unit, its mostly Mac software. I have also attached the 'About this Mac' image.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-08-25 at 17.33.35.png
    Screenshot 2021-08-25 at 17.33.35.png
    73.4 KB · Views: 47

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

I haven't run Big Sur on that particular model of Mac mini. But, I have used Big Sur on numerous Macs from 2013 through the current M1 models. Of course, then newer the Mac, the better it will run. And, some features of Big Sur aren't optimized/available on older Mac hardware.

It runs very well on my MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015), which is just slightly newer than your mini, but it does have 8 GB of RAM versus the 4 GB on your mini. Memory would be the only caveat for your mini, as 4 GB is the minimum for Big Sur.

What third-party applications are you using, as they may need updates/upgrades to be compatible with Big Sur?

C

Reaction score
Photoshop LE (I have Affinity Photo if LE is too old), other than Clam not much else. But the unit is not fast and if Big Sur is memory hungry perhaps I should leave it at Mohave.

Ask a Question