Mac G4 Cube ( March 2000 )

Reaction score
The G4 Cube starts up o k , I can see a red and green light in through the top grill however no display
comes on . The power light comes on on the display and will turn the Mac G4 Cube on and off.
what can the problem be.
Cheers

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Does the Cube make the startup chime?
-Which brand/model is the display?

C

Reaction score
Thank you for your interest in the G4 Cube problem.
I have discovered two cd discs jammed into the c d player on the Cube, after removing the machine from the enclosure I removed the discs. The computer started up and played the Apple fanfare however now it is showing a yellow circle with three yellow arms on a blue background.The display unit is an Apple Cinema Display with USB port for the speakers.
Pooka

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

Good progress.

I assume you are seeing this:
Screen Shot 2020-09-27 at 13.32.24.png

That is showing that it started in Target Disk Mode. Try restarting. If it comes up to that again, then the T key may think it is "stuck" down.

You could try another keyboard, or hold the X key down to see if it starts up normally.

C

Reaction score
Hello C ,
Yes that is the symbol which is bobbing around my screen, I have tried all the keys and the ones mentioned in the apple handbook. The handbook points out a small battery which is located within the bowels of the mac g4 cube
should be replaced . When this battery is in working order it’s duties are to
reset your computer‘s PRAM . As I have no idea if it was ever replaced I will fit a new battery and hope for the best.
cheers,
pooka

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Yes, the battery may have something to do with it.

Let us know how that goes, and if you had the ability to try another keyboard.

C

Reaction score
Hello c,
Replaced 3.6 v lithium battery however it made no difference. In relation to the keyboard , my iMac has a wireless keyboard so I connected the keyboard from the G4 cube to the iMac and the keyboard worked perfectly. Could the problem be a defective hard drive ? or some other hardware issue.
cheers
pooka

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Yes, it could be hardware or software. Normally, that issue is caused by the keyboard thinking the T key is stuck down.

-What OS is installed?
-Do you happen to have a startup/install disc you could try?

C

Reaction score
Hello c,
Yes I have the install disc unfortunately if I insert a disc into the player I won’t be able to eject it as the G4 Cube is not working , when the eject key on the keyboard is depressed nothing happens.
The mouse on the keyboard is working , it glows red when the machine is turned on , by the way we still see the target disc bobbing around on the screen.
Cheers,
pooka.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
The eject key won't work until OS X is loaded, since it is a software-based function. You can eject discs during startup after pressing the power button, by holding the mouse button down. You could actually insert a blank CD-R, power off the Cube, then test to see if it will eject before trying the install disc.

C

Ask a Question