Mac book Pro boot loop?

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to Macs, and I loaned my notebook to a friend. He upgraded the OS ( no he didn't even ask first or back anything up) and now it is stuck in a boot loop. I don't have anything backed up, does anyone have suggestions to fix this? (Step by step instructions greatly appreciated) thank you!

Reaction score
Is there something comparable to "boot to last known good configuration" on windows machines?

Recent OS software for Macs come with Time Machine, which can back up your "stuff" on a periodic basis. But, I do not know how to get such backups to become "fully functional". I instead use a program called SuperDuper! to make an exact backup/clone of my system at that point in time. (The program does offer some sort of "incremental" backup feature, but I don't need that). I have twice needed to recover issues on my Mac Mini by booting to those backups, and it worked like a charm.

But, it sounds like no backups have ever been made.

Reaction score
Can I download any version of the OS to a dvd and do a clean install on my Mac, or will I need license information/which version I had?

Reaction score
You need to let us know what exact OS you have now. But, just getting a new version of the OS (most likely an upgrade, assuming you have Snow Leopard, OS 10.6.x (x is some number; the last version of Snow Leopard was 10.6.8)) will not solve your issue. What you need to do is to first "check out" the hard drive, and fix whatever issues it now has. To do that, you'll most likely need an "external" way of doing that.

In any event, see if you can tell us what version of the OS you have now. (Ask your friend if he remembers what version he installed).

Reaction score
A follow up to what I posted above. What type of machine are you using to make posts here? If it is another Mac, and you told us the model and OS it is using, and also tell us the exact model of your problematic machine, there could be some hope for you.

Ask a Question