Lost my optical drive

Reaction score
Some time ago, i updated to El Capitan. Today, when I tried to use my optical drive to burn a DVD, I find that it no longer exists!

Reaction score
Need some additional information:

1. What version of El Capitan? The last one was V10.11.6.

2. What exact Mac model do you have?

3. Have you ever done any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs, from a software perspective? You actually can do a "fair to good" amount of disk cleanup yourself, and there are some excellent products available (both free and commercial) that can help you.

4. Are you making backups to an external device?

5. Prior to the issue happening, did you do any software updates to any software you have?

Reaction score
To answer:
1. 10.11.6
2. Imac 24" early 2009
3. Yes
4. Yes, Time machine backup to an external drive
5. Yes, to at least several apps

Reaction score
To answer:
1. 10.11.6
2. Imac 24" early 2009
3. Yes
4. Yes, Time machine backup to an external drive
5. Yes, to at least several apps

OK, do you have a backup prior to all those updates? It seems that via one of those updates, the issue started. If you can do a recovery from that specific Time Machine backup, that should be the way to go. Then, after starting again, make sure everything is OK, then apply each update one by one, and see if the issue occurs.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

In addition to honestone's questions...

-How are you trying to burn a DVD - which software app?
-In  > About This Mac > System Report... > Disc Burning, does your SuperDrive show there?
-If you insert a CD or other disc, does it inject and mount?

C

Ask a Question