Lost a translate widget

Reaction score
Is there somebody who knows how to get a decent widget for word translation? (language translation especially Dutch - English and Englisg-Dutch). My very valuable translate Widget disappeared! I don't know how to get it back with Time Machine (probably it was removed after an IOS update (I am running 10.13.1 High Sierra now).With TM I cannot assess the widgets directly, I couldn't locate them on my HD.
I found a widget or App in the App Store, but I cannot download it. Apparently I cannot choose anymore: "Allow downloads from a not identified origin/developer" . (there are now only two options: Allow download from the App store and allow from "known developers".
This App/widget was from a not known (identified) developer.
My question: is it now impossible to download something from a not known origin?!!??
and: how to install a translate widget in my dashboard?

I appreciate every advice possible!

Reaction score
Unfortunately, your post is a little "confusing". Let me ask you some questions to try and clarify things.

1. You state "My very valuable translate Widget disappeared! I don't know how to get it back with Time Machine (probably it was removed after an IOS update (I am running 10.13.1 High Sierra now)". For the part in bold, do you mean OS update? If you, what OS did you "update' from, and did you do the update "in place", ie, basically let OS 10.13.1 overwrite what was on your Mac already?

2. You state "I found a widget or App in the App Store, but I cannot download it. Apparently I cannot choose anymore: "Allow downloads from a not identified origin/developer" . (there are now only two options: Allow download from the App store and allow from "known developers". ". What is the name of the widget?

3. I just "went" to the App Store, and to say it is difficult locating a "Dutch-English Translation" widget is an understatement! Also, not sure how a widget or App from an unidentified (ie, not know) developer can get "into" the App Store. I even tried a Google Search for such (or a similar) product, and I did come up with 2 free ones entitled "Text Translation" and "Language Translator", but then when I try to do a search "in" the App Store, for either of those, neither of them are shown, but quite a few "similar" products (most of them one needs to pay for) appear.

So, if you could provide the exact name of the Widget or App, that would help a lot.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I am sorry for the confusion: I mean OS update. My last update was implemented automatically which means : let OS 10.13.1 overwrite what was om my Mac already (eg the version before, I always update pretty soon after a release). The name of the widget is Translator.wdgt (www.widgetop.com) I found also Text Translator (but download was not possible because the developer was not known) My biggest question: I remember it was possible (system pref-> safety/privacy-> to select a third option "allow also programs which are downloaded from "unknown identity" or something alike. Is this eliminated now bij Apple? Secondly: as far as I understand you I now can only install a translate widget (app) from the Appstore and I have to pay for those programs.
thx thx a lot for your efforts sofar.

Reaction score
I also run 10.13.1 I went to the site downloaded the app dragged it to applications , right clicked, open, installed. No problems

Reaction score
Hi, this is good news! Which site and do you have the name of the App ? Is it freeware? regards.

Reaction score
OK, I downloaded that app from that link (it's "initially" a zip file), double clicked on the zip file, and then the widget appeared on my desktop. Double clicking it gives the dialogue about not being able to install it. But, if I right click on the widget icon, and select Open from the menu that appears, it allows me to open and use it. I am still using the latest version of Sierra (OS 10.12.6), but hopefully that same feature is available in High Sierra.

I have sometimes needed to use that technique with some applications (for a long time, I needed to do that for the excellent, venerable program Onyx).

Reaction score
By the way, Alfettaracer, are you aware of the potentially serious "root user" bug in High Sierra (even in V10.13.1)? I started a thread about that earlier this week. Here is the link for it:

https://www.mac-help.com/threads/high-sierra-security-issue.224098/

However, for the second post in that thread, the link I provided for the Security Update is actually one for Sierra. So maybe go with the "manual" way of doing it. However, here is the correct link for that update:

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1943?locale=en_US

Not sure what will happen when Apple releases the next High Sierra update, V10.13.2, and that root user flaw.

Reaction score
OK, I downloaded that app from that link (it's "initially" a zip file), double clicked on the zip file, and then the widget appeared on my desktop. Double clicking it gives the dialogue about not being able to install it. But, if I right click on the widget icon, and select Open from the menu that appears, it allows me to open and use it. I am still using the latest version of Sierra (OS 10.12.6), but hopefully that same feature is available in High Sierra.

I have sometimes needed to use that technique with some applications (for a long time, I needed to do that for the excellent, venerable program Onyx).

Thx a lot, it works (I forgot this procedure and got stuck with the same message you got). But... unfortunately the widget is terrible slow, it takes ages before he comes up with a simple translation of a single word. I know how to get back with TM a document, but is it also possible to "restore" in this way a lost widget (my former translator widget was a lot faster). Where can you find the widget in Time Machine Mode?

Reaction score
By the way, Alfettaracer, are you aware of the potentially serious "root user" bug in High Sierra (even in V10.13.1)? I started a thread about that earlier this week. Here is the link for it:

https://www.mac-help.com/threads/high-sierra-security-issue.224098/

However, for the second post in that thread, the link I provided for the Security Update is actually one for Sierra. So maybe go with the "manual" way of doing it. However, here is the correct link for that update:

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1943?locale=en_US

Not sure what will happen when Apple releases the next High Sierra update, V10.13.2, and that root user flaw.
Thx a lot, you are right it is an update for Sierre. After downloaden and "running" the update I got the message: The volume doesn't meet the requirements for this update (my translation Dutch-> English)

Reaction score
I don't use Time Machine for my backups, and I have never attempted to recover an individual file/folder (or files/folders). This link describes how you can recover an individual file from a Time Machine backup:

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2015/07/11/how-view-and-restore-specific-files-time-machine/

Note, though, that you need to know the folder that contains the file you want.

This is exactly my problem; it is difficult to find where this file is located (you don't see your application bar/dock underneath your screen to approach the widgets)

Reaction score
Thx a lot. I found it and replaced it with Time Machine. This widget is again in My Dashboard, but unfortunately it doesn't work (anymore?) See screenshot (if I klick on button for "translate from" nothing happens (normally you select the language there) The blue widget is the lost widget (retrieved with TM) de dark widget "Translator" is not working either (as I posted earlier) but you can fill in words and select your language as you can see, but a translation takes ages.(probably this widget is not compatible anymore with High Sierra??) I guess I have to buy a decent translator widget.

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2017-12-05 om 11.32.00.png
    Schermafbeelding 2017-12-05 om 11.32.00.png
    365.1 KB · Views: 415
Reaction score
You have a point; I always forget to check this when I upgrade. I will study your link. You are great!
(those paid apps for translation are expensive, about 4 dollars a month. If you need this once a month or so)

Reaction score
Amazing this widget works again (I checked it once more) The blue (left) one you can see on my screenshot.
It was completely dead after I installed it again with the aid of Time Machine.

Reaction score
Too bad this widget worked only once. It is completely dead now, also if I have it "ON" for an while.

Ask a Question