Lexmark 3300 series won't scan from Time Capsule

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a Lexmark 3300 series USB printer/scanner that is plugged directly into a Time Capsule 2nd generation on my home network. The TC has been set up and works fine with Time Machine, and my Lion Mac can also identify the Lexmark as a Bonjour printer.

However, even after downloading and installing the latest Lexmark printer drivers from Apple, and resetting the printing system, and re-adding the Lexmark printer to the Mac, I can only print to the printer; there is no scan tab. If I plug the printer directly into the Mac, I can print and scan just fine.

Is there any way I could configure the printer to scan from the Time Capsule, without having to hook the printer directly to my Mac? It would save a lot of trouble with my current network layout, and allow everyone in the household to scan to their respective computers.

Reaction score
The USB port on the TimeCapsule is only for Printing it does not support the scanner.

Reaction score
Thanks for your prompt and helpful reply Kaveman! :) OK, so the USB port on the TC only supports printing. If you don't mind me asking, do you have a source for that? I just want to be absolutely clear that there is no way to scan from TC with a USB printer.

Thanks again for your help.

Reaction score
Thanks for the link, Kaveman, I appreciate it. :) I also did some more research, and found that, regardless of firmware version or TC model, USB is for printing only. Now it may be possible to plug the printer into the Ethernet port on the TC and access scanning that way, but sadly, the printer I have is USB only, so no luck there.

I suppose I will hook up my printer to my Mac, and enable printing sharing in the system preferences. Then all I have to do is enable network access for my Mac, and it will be accessible to anyone on the network via the TC.

Thank you again for your help, and I'm marking this thread as solved.

Ask a Question