Late 09 MacBook not charging, getting all lights green and Amber but no charge

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I post in desperation ha, iv scrawled through the endless discussions on this subject and have tried the solutions but to no avail.

I have a late 2009 MacBook that is not charging, I'm stuck in two minds of its the power adapter or the macs ability to charge it's battery.

If I plug the charger in I get all lights Amber, green, dim green but hardly if ever get power to the Mac. When the power does connect to start the Mac (currently out of battery unable to charge) it says a variety of things.
For example charging but not, running of adapter (but gets VERY hot), running of a battery that is 0% and of course just running of battery then it shuts down.

Iv just had the battery report saying the Mac and adapter were charging but there was not.

I'm baffled by this it may just be the adapter but I'm thinking it's more the Mac, it seems the adapter is delivering charge but it's not being accepted.
I have tried resetting the smc, cleaning the adapter as connection peice on the Mac, taken the battery out and put back in making sure battery connected was clean and connected properly, fixing the pins in te charger and cleaning the dust away from inside the Mac. So please dont send me to them help pages.

After all that I Still have the same problem :/ and help would be much appreciated, as I say I will be trying out a new charger ASAP but like it does deliver charge and I have tried it on another Mac, so I'm not building my hopes up.

Thanks in advance, kind regards

Reaction score
Is it possible that the battery itself needs to be replaced?

It very well could be, it's years out of warranty and an old war horse ha. So I'm not gonna be taking it to a shop or investing much into it, fingers crossed for a quick fix. Cheers for the reply ✌️

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
You can check the health of the battery:

-In the  menu, hold the Option key down and About This Mac will change to System Information...
-Select It
-In System Information under the Power > Battery Information > Health Information section, let us know the Cycle Count and Condition.

C

Reaction score
You can check the health of the battery:

-In the  menu, hold the Option key down and About This Mac will change to System Information...
-Select It
-In System Information under the Power > Battery Information > Health Information section, let us know the Cycle Count and Condition.

C

Hi cory,

Thanks for the reply, battery info: cycle count is 586 and condition is normal.

Kind regards

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

The maximum cycle count for the battery for a MacBook (Late 2009) (white polycarbonate unibody enclosure) is 1000, so you are at 58.6% of it's intended life span. However, other factors play into the health of the battery including frequency of charge, usage patterns, age, etc. So, it is not outside the possibility that your battery is worn out, even though the health status is reported as normal.

I feel that a new battery will rectify the issue, although it could also be related to the AC adapter, MagSafe board, or logic board. If you have an Apple Store nearby, they can run a full diagnostic on the machine, and hopefully give a more definite answer.

Hope that helps,

C

Ask a Question