Joanne

Reaction score
How do I remove unwanted icons from Dock?

How do I remove an appleworks loginwindow and a System UI Server from my dock?

I have an iMac Power PC G4 700 MHz 256 MB SD Ram OS 10.2.8

My finder had disappeared from my dock and I had followed Ric's advice to delete the finder preference file and restart, but when the finder was back in the dock along came unwanted, frozen icons.

How do I get rid of these now? :eek:

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Re: How do I remove unwanted icons from Dock?

How do I remove an appleworks loginwindow and a System UI Server from my dock?

I have an iMac Power PC G4 700 MHz 256 MB SD Ram OS 10.2.8

My finder had disappeared from my dock and I had followed Ric's advice to delete the finder preference file and restart, but when the finder was back in the dock along came unwanted, frozen icons.

How do I get rid of these now? :eek:

Hello Joanne Doucet & welcome :)

Exactly what is happening with these icons that makes you refer to them as 'frozen'?

Do the other icons in your Dock still function?

What happens if you click and hold the cursor on one of these icons and then drag it upwards off the Dock? Does it go up in a puff of virtual smoke?

This is how you would usually remove stuff from the Dock. The other way is to click and hold on the icon until the contextual menu appears. There is an option at the top of the list to "Remove From Dock" ....

Hope this helps :)

Reaction score
Hi and thanks for answering -

All 3 icons have the black triangle saying they are on and when I try to remove them by dragging they spring back into place. All are left of the line.

All 3 icons say the following when I click and hold: Keep in dock; Show in Finder; and Quit and none of those work when I click on them, except for the Dock icon. When I click on Quit the whole dock disappears down and returns to its place again but the dock icon has moved over into another slot. It also shows a grey "Application not Responding" above the icon when I click and hold.

Reaction score
Hi again,
To answer a question you had; all the other icons in the Dock work.

I call the 3 unwanted icons frozen because they can't be moved nor to they respond with cursor clicking.

In the contextual menus I described, there is no "Remove from Dock"