Japanese keyboard - NOT

Reaction score
I'm losing hope...

Since my last post about International Input gone crazy, some people have suggested that when I activate the Hirigana Input Method, my MacBook thinks I am using a Japanese Keyboard, rather than using an english keyboard but using Japanese characters. I don't know how I might have turned this on, but since I have no external keyboard, there is no option to de-select it.

Any suggestions?

MacBook
Intel duo core 2.16
OSX 10.4.10

Thanks!

Reaction score
Go System preferences > International > Input Menu. See what you might have accidentally checked there.

Reaction score
Thanks for your two replies, Egidio.

International was no help at all. That's where I originally selected, then deselected, then reselected, etc... various input options that didn't seem to have any effect.

But this morning I found that at times, there is a "Kotoeri Preferences" option. This gives me a detailed preferences menu all in Japanese. Somehow I have installed Japanese keyboard software. However, I was able by some educated guesses (and a little help from a Mac article that was slightly related)to change the selection from Japanese Keyboard to US Keyboard with Japanese transliteration.

I still have no idea how I installed this - I don't recall ever seeing the "Kotoeri" word or preferences or help (also in Japanese) or a number of other options that are now available, before. I can't read enough japanese to know if there's an uninstall option.

I'm sure before it was just a matter of fonts and transliteration.

So in short - I can now type in Hiragana (though there are some funny things I have to do like use "return" before I hit "space" or else it turns in to Kanji, despite Kanji being turned off). It's useable, but if anyone can tell me how to uninstall the Keyboard and go back to just using the font, I'd be grateful.

Thanks.

Reaction score
You're welcome.

You know, during a regular system installation, Apple loads every possible language in that installation. I learned some time ago to never take the default installation. I always opt for the custom install and then select only the languages I know I'll need.

Ask a Question