Itunes starts on its own

Reaction score
I haven't used iTunes in months and all of a sudden it starts playing the same song every two or three hours. It plays on top of Pandora or anything else I have open.
I have tried to shut it off but nothing works except rebooting. My computer is about 3 years old and seems to work pretty well otherwise. I am 80 years old so not exactly computer wise. Please help since this is very unsettling to hear music blasting away in another room.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
There could be several reasons as to what is happening but let's just try this the next time it happens:
  • Go to the  in the upper left of the Desktop & scroll down to "Force Quit".
  • In the window that springs open select iTunes
  • Click on "Force Quit"
  • Then in the secondary window choose "Force Quit"
Let us know if this occurs again after you've followed the above steps.

Any further questions fire away :)

Reaction score
I haven't used iTunes in months and all of a sudden it starts playing the same song every two or three hours. It plays on top of Pandora or anything else I have open.
I have tried to shut it off but nothing works except rebooting. My computer is about 3 years old and seems to work pretty well otherwise. I am 80 years old so not exactly computer wise. Please help since this is very unsettling to hear music blasting away in another room.
There could be several reasons as to what is happening but let's just try this the next time it happens:
  • Go to the  in the upper left of the Desktop & scroll down to "Force Quit".
  • In the window that springs open select iTunes
  • Click on "Force Quit"
  • Then in the secondary window choose "Force Quit"
Let us know if this occurs again after you've followed the above steps.

Any further questions fire away :)
I tried this and nothing happened, BUT it seemed strange that the song started just about when your email came in so I sent myself an email and sure enough when the email came in the song started again.
Now I know what is causing it but I have no clue how to stop it. Any suggestions????

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Do you use Mac Mail.app? If so go into Mail Preferences or press Command , to open the Preferences window.
Under the General Tab have a look what it says in the "New Messages Sound" drop-down menu

Reaction score
Do you use Mac Mail.app? If so go into Mail Preferences or press Command , to open the Preferences window.
Under the General Tab have a look what it says in the "New Messages Sound" drop-down menu
OMG It says The Happy Organ. I didn't even know you could select iTunes songs as email sounds. I set it back to Purr, and it now works fine. How it got set I can't imagine since I am the only one who uses the computer and I know I didn't do it.

In any event= THANK YOU soooooo much.

Ask a Question