iTunes "last played" updating erratically

Reaction score
I have a playlist in iTunes that usually contains several full albums followed by a various artists compilation. The last two times I played this through my iPod, the "last played" on the full albums updated correctly, but several of the songs in the compilation - which I know played through - did not. I also have "20 seconds of silence" tracks between the individual albums, and two of the three did not update "last played." iTunes version is 12.7.0.166. If it matters, the iPod is 5th generation Nano.

This started after another issue with syncing the iPond nano. Earlier this week when I went to sync it, the Options window either was not there or was grayed out - I don't recall which. I believe what I did to fix that was to shut down and then reopen iTunes. It took forever for the library to load, but eventually everything went back to normal. The problem with "last played" seems to have started after that.

Any idea why this is happening and if I can fix it?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

-Which versions of OS X and iOS?
-Which version of iTunes on the Mac?
-Are you referring to the History/Last Played on the iPod, in iTunes on the Mac, or both?
-Do you have Home sharing computers and devices update play counts enabled in iTunes?

C

Reaction score
OSX 10.12.6

iPod nano has latest update, but I don't think that is a version of iOS. (Using the iPod now so can't check the version.)

iTunes version 12.7.0.166 as listed above.

My iPod nano does not show history/last played as far as I know. So just in iTunes.

Yes to your last question.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks...guess I missed the iTunes version above. ;)

iPod nano (5th Generation) has a maximum OS version of 1.0.2, so that's probably what you have.

Not sure why that is happening. I haven't really used the History function much myself, so I will keep an eye on mine to see if the issue occurs. However, I do remember noticing at some point that songs need to play all the way through, or at least a certain amount of play time, to show up. If I skip a track part of the way through, it either doesn't show, or shows up randomly at a later time.

C

Reaction score
Songs are playing all the way through, as next song is played. I suppose it's possible the iPod is jumping to the next song before the first is over, but if it is, I can't hear that. By the way, you do have to get to the end of the track to update last played, but you can start the song in the middle (even with only a few seconds left) and it will be updated after the end.

Ask a Question