iTunes: HVURL HandlerErrorDomain error 1003

Reaction score
I received this error after burning a DVD in iTunes:

HVURL HandlerErrorDomain error 1003

I repaired permissions, ran DiskWarrior, and ran DriveGenius. The error 1003 still persists and now tells me the DVD cannot be read from or written to. I destroyed two DVDs trying to resolve this problem.

I thought about deleting the following iTune Cache files:

Library/Caches/com.apple.iTunes/Cache.db
Library/Caches/com.apple.iTunes/goog-phish-shavar.dat
Library/Caches/com.apple.iTunes/goog-phish-shavar.db

Is this a good idea?

Before burning this DVD, I successfully burned three DVDs in a row. After I burned that error DVD, I burned another disk with a different TV show episode on it without a problem.

I wonder if it might have something to do with the TV show episode's name. I know with Toast files with inappropriate names cause errors. The questionable TV show episode has an ampersand (&) in the name. Could that cause the problem with a recording in iTunes? Trying to cover all bases.

iMac rev 2009, Duo Core 3.0.6Ghz, OS 10.6.8, iTunes 10.6.1 (7)

Reaction score
I burned another disk with a different TV show episode on it without a problem.
I say the problem is with the file.
Copy it to another drive and see if it copies ok.

Reaction score
The only other drive I have is my backup drive.

What about just downloading it again from iTunes?

I have a flash drive. I do not know if that would work.

Reaction score
What about just downloading it again from iTunes?
Thats a good idea.

I have a flash drive.
Sure just something to take it off the drive, delete the original than copy it back.

Either of these ideas should help.

Reaction score
Interestingly, I tried to play the same TV show episode on my iPad and it won't play. Where the icon for the episode should be it has a blank filled with a grey and white monitor. I cannot highlight the episode to play it.

Time to download a new episode off of iTunes.

Reaction score
Okay, downloaded another copy after making sure the other was deleted and recorded another DVD.

Same problem occurred with one exception. This time the disk showed up on the desktop whereas before the disk never showed up anywhere.

Oddities of oddities... out of nowhere, Norton AntiVirus, which is supposedly not on my HD starts scanning the disk and tells me it has the same error again. I have searched for Norton AntiVirus on my HD and cannot find it. It only showed up for this disk and not the other burns.

Another oddity... when recorded the two TV show episodes equal 4.48 GB. Could this be an issue too? When I see the files on iTunes they are 1.43 GB and 2.75 GB. However, when they record they fatten up to 1.53 GB and 2.95 GB.

Should I try to record them onto separate disks or does the maxed out disk make that much of a difference?

I can now see this episode on my iPad and it appears to be normal.

Reaction score
The size will make a difference, try them on separate disks.

Check your Activity Monitor for Nortons, its a bastard to get rid of and causes no end of problems.

Reaction score
Thanks for all your help so far Kaveman.

I called tech support for Comcast and got rid of all the Norton files. Now disks inserted into the drive do not get scanned. One problem fixed.

Next problem, get the disk recorded.

I have burned four useless DVDs.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Check in:

 ~> About This Mac ~> More Info ~> System Report or Profiler ~> Disk Burning
for info on supported media ... I just wasted money on some DVD -R Dual Layer disks that my iMac C2D's Superdrive doesn't support.

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Spawn_Dooley.

I recorded three seasons of this TV show and a season of Dexter on this stack of DVDs without a problem until now. This one episode keeps having problems.

Last night, I deleted the Cache files from iTunes, User> Library> Caches:
Library/Caches/com.apple.iTunes/Cache.db
Library/Caches/com.apple.iTunes/goog-phish-shavar.dat
Library/Caches/com.apple.iTunes/goog-phish-shavar.db

I wonder if I should delete this other file in User> Library> Preferences:
com.apple.iTunes.plist

Reaction score
I did it! It recorded this time. I recorded the TV episode by itself rather than together with the second to last episode.

One more thing I did before recording this time, I set the top speed at 16X for recording even though that had no bearing on the other DVDs I burned. I thought why not give this DVD all the help it can get.

This is a new stack of DVDs with the same specifications as the last stack.

Ask a Question