Issues with High Sierra, OS 10.13

Reaction score
Well, it looks like there are "issues" with High Sierra and Macs that have Fusion Drives or just hard disk drives:

https://blog.macsales.com/42316-update-macos-high-sierra-and-apfs-compatibility

https://eclecticlight.co/2017/09/15/high-sierra-apfs-not-supported-on-fusion-drives/

That second link contains some details about what the download will look like from the App Store. For my situation, one of my Macs, my mid 2013 13" MacBook Air, has a built-in SSD, and thus can work if it is formatted as AFPS. What I am unclear about is the Samsung 840 Pro 256 gig SSD I installed myself in my late 2012 Mac Mini. I removed the 1 TB Hitachi drive that came with the MIni, and thus I do not have a Fusion Drive setup. Also, what about my two external drives (Samsung 850 Pro 512 gig SSDs)?

In looking more closely at that second link, it looks like I am OK, as it states:

"APFS compatibility

Devices formatted as Mac OS Extended (HFS+) can be read from and written to by devices formatted as APFS.

Translation: You can read and write to disk drives that were formatted as HFS+ from a Mac with a boot drive formatted as APFS.

Devices formatted as APFS can be read from and written to by:

• Other devices formatted as APFS
  • Devices formatted as Mac OS Extended, if using macOS High Sierra
For example, a USB storage device formatted as APFS can be read by a Mac using High Sierra, but not by a Mac using Sierra or earlier.

Translation: Drives of any type (USB flash drives, SSDs, HDDs) formatted as APFS can be be read from and written to from a Mac using High Sierra, even if it is not formatted as APFS"

Then of course there is the issue of which third party apps one has, and how they will work with all this to consider.

So, it looks like this initial release of High Sierra is much more complex that prior Mac OS releases. It would thus be the wise move to wait until at least the next ".1" release is available. Of course, one cannot say if that release cures issues. Myself, I still have to wait for 3 critical applications to be updated for High Sierra compatibility (Onyx, Tech Tool Pro, and Logitech Control Center software) before I upgrade. A new version of 1Password was released yesterday, but not specifically for High Sierra compatibility. However, in discussions with AgileBits (the company that makes 1Password), and it is fully compatible with High Sierra.

As I mentioned previously, in discussions with Micromat (the developers of Tech Tool Pro), they are still working on Tech Tool Pro and High Sierra, Have not seen anything yet from Titanium Software (the developers of Onyx), and I have not heard back from Logitech yet regarding their Control Center software (for my Logitech mice) and high Sierra. And i noticed today on the site https://www.macupdate.com/ that Drive Genius, a product similar to Tech Tool Pro, released a newer version of their software which states:

"Version 5.0.5:
  • Due to major changes in macOS 10.13, all current versions of Drive Genius are incompatible with the upcoming release. We are working hard on a new version to fully support 10.13, but in the meantime we are releasing 5.0.5 to disable Drive Genius on 10.13."
Hence, it might be wise to just skip this initial release of High Sierra. I know I plan to.

Reaction score
Interesting to a point. What it really told me is that I pretty much do not understand this stuff. If I had time to learn I know it would be an advantage. But, I am an underfunded senior female artist looking for an older Macbook Pro. I am also stuck in the past with a non-intel G5 that is without a hope of being able to upgrade using my present system. I've been looking for a late 2011 that I almost can afford, but now I'm scared that I'll will be forced out of upgradeability again, by pushing the present useability once more into history. What is the answer for people like me? No built-in techies available. Most of my friends use pc's. I have been a long-term mac user so I would be not too happy with a pc.

Reaction score
Understand what you are saying. If you are located in the US, Black Friday os getting close, and I'll bet you'll find some good deals on 2013 through 2015 MacBook Pro and MacBook Air machines. Obviously, the "newer" the Mac you buy, the "longer" it will remain to be supported by any newer versions of the Mac OS. Myself I purchased a new mid 2013 13" Mac Book Air in October 2013, and it is still "modern" enough. I suspect I have a good 3 to 5 more good years left for it to be "in vogue".

Ask a Question