Is it just me?

Reaction score
Okay, so I don't know if it's just me, or did I just overlook this in the manual?

I just won my pretty MacBook. I'm an absolute Mac virgin, by the way. Never touched a Mac until now. So, I've gotten used to Mac now...and AHAH. Hm...good system--it updates automatically! I click on the Software Update...iTunes, iChat, browser...okay! Install the new softwares! I was oh, so happy...until the update is finished. Sure, the new installations went better, but this is what happened: the dock is back to default (ALL MY SHORTCUTS ARE GONE), only the HD is on my desktop (MORE SHORTCUTS GONE), and the files are all screwed over...I was working on a website on iWeb, and saved it in Documents, and I couldn't find it. I then found it later elsewhere...and everything in my system preferences were back to default frustrating.

Will that happen everytime I do system updates? Maybe I missed something in the manual. Help. Suggestions. Everything is accepted. That was my first time trying system update by the way.

My MacBook is the newest model. 10.4.8., 13 Inch, Intel Core 2 Duo, 80 GB HD, and 1 GB ram. Very shiny, by the way!

Help?:D

Reaction score
No that should not happen.

It almost sounds like you are logged into a different account.
Try logging out from the Apple menu and logging in to another account if there are more than one.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Are you able to sort things out so that you have your Desktop/Account just the way you like?

That shouldn't happen at all. Before installing a System Update it's a good idea to remove any peripherals like external hard drives/printers/ipods etc. Then after the installation is complete and you have restarted your Mac, it's a good idea to run Disc Utility and check/verify/repair both Permissions and your Hard Disc.

Today there is an important Software Update; Mac OS 10.4.10 and if you download it I would really think about following my advice just to be on the safe side.

Did the MacBook come to you second hand? Had the previous owner reinstalled the software? If not it might be in your best interests to consider a clean installation of the OS.

Reaction score
Nope, my Mac is brand spanking new...
I just came up with something...is it possible if the update was interrupted, then the files kinda corrupted? I'm about to update now....and I will probably use iSync first.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome to the Mac world,

I'm with the other guys, it certainly sounds like you have either more than one user account or the installs were not finished for some reason.

iSync is not what you need for this...

Try manually downloading the 'combo' System update from here and running that to see if that helps.

regards

Ric