iPhotos and Photos Duplicates

Reaction score
So I've tried various "duplicate photo removal" apps. And there HAS been some progress. But what I find now are files with a name and identical files with the same name but with "_1024" after the file name. I can't make Finder list the "_1024" files to delete them. And I note that 1024 is the sme size as the duplicates.

Am I seeing a mirage? Do those files actually exist? It seems to me that I have 3x the memory used on the pictures than before.

?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

-Which duplicate photo removal apps?
-Where are you seeing the files with _1024 in the name - in an All My Files search perhaps? Or in the Photos app?

They may just be thumbnails. I wouldn't delete them until you know exactly what they are.

C

Reaction score
Well, I forget the previous ones (they were free, so "iffy" and they did nothing), but I am using PhotoSweeper that I bought from the app store. It is a bit confusing, as it doesn't explain well what the choices it offers mean. For example, when I run it just looking at the Photos file (that is 69,000 files but should be about 20,000 without duplicates), it says it found 27,000 and asks if I want to delete them. I wasn't sure which photos it meant the first 2 tries but finally clicked "OK". Then it said it deleted 57 files. I've run it 3 more times and it is always "57 files".

The 1024 files do seem to be duplicates. They show up when I look at all the Photo files and (oddly) they vary in size from the small 100-300KB files I save for use in my blog to the full size originals. I've tried searching for them by the *_1024.jpg* and various combinations of that but they seem to be invisible other than in Photos. Finder isn't helping here.

I've tried PhotoSweeper using sorting by file name, size, picture match (exact because many photos are quite similar, and 90% just to see what it would suggest to delete. But it is always about 27,000 duplicates and exactly 57 suggested for removal. And it doesn't remove them, I guess.

It shouldn't be this hard and I'm not stupid about following app instructions. I've probably put enough time and effort into duplicate photo remover apps that I could have actually deleted them manually by now. Which is my next step if no one has a better suggestion.

I am completely willing to consider that I am just missing "something" about the process.

Reaction score
Damn. Many ARE thumbnails I wanted and they are (safely for the moment) in Trash. And I had unplugged the Time Machine external Drive temporarily. It turns out that I have just spent a couple hours manually deleting over a 1,000 (of 40,000) "duplicate photos" in PHOTO that were actually the "cropped, adjusted, defined and downsized" photos I've processed for blog use.

This general Mac misery has been going on since November when I "upgraded" to Catalina.

It would seem that I have ENOUGH knowledge to totally mess everything up, but not enough to fix things. I think I will back up the hard drive on my 1 TB Seagate and then start a new migration attempt from the Time Machine backup on the My Passport external Drive from October to try and get most stuff back and working. Then save selected new files from the Seagate. Oh, and after copying all the email account settings in Apple Mail...

Oh, such joy...

Ask a Question