SOLVED Iphone backup location change

Tks

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
First time with an iphone here.
I did a phone backup and have a cumbersome 61Gb backup on my main SSD drive on iMac under High Sierra.
I looked for a way to change the backup location but unless mistaken it's either 'this computer' or icloud.
Right now I'm trying to copy the backup folder onto an external drive, but it says "about ten hours". For information, the original drive is the imac's SSD and the one on which I copy it is a Crucial x9 pro with 2Tb and still a good 1tB free.
I don't mind the ten hours that much if it works, but I'm wondering if there won't be any issues if I ever want to restore a backup copied in an external drive.
Thank you and Merry Xmas to you all.

Reaction score
Hi Tks,

There are 2 ways to accomplish what you want.

1. You can move the MobileSync Folder to your External Drive and then create a symbolic link for the MobileSync folder in its original location.

2. Or, you can use an app called iMazing. iMazing in my opinion is a better solution for backing up your IOS devices. It has quite a few advantages over just using the Finder to backup your iPhone.

The Crucial X9 should be able to move a 61GB folder in under 5 minutes. I would check the cable to the drive if its taking 10 hours.

Ask a Question