SOLVED iPad backup to Mac

Reaction score
My Mac, late 2013 21.5 inch screen Catalina 10.15.6, will not backup my iPad Air2, OS 13.6. When I plug the iPad into the Mac they both go a little crazy. The "trust" button continually flashes on the iPad so quickly a selection can't be made. Meanwhile the Mac Finder is unreachable because the Photos app repeatedly opens and closes in front of it. While this battle ensues one of the devices is beeping. Even after sizing the the two apps so I can see them both, neither one responds to my mouse selections. Also numerous error messages appear. I did not write down the messages. I just clicked OK.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

I would try restarting your iMac and the iPad, then try again. If the iPad is connecting/disconnecting repeatedly, or the iMac is making the connection sound multiple times, then there may be an issue with the USB cable or the port on the iPad.

See if that helps.

C

Reaction score
I tried it again right after I removed all the third party photos that you helped me solve. It worked! The Mac backed-up the tablet. Then yesterday I tried it again when the tablet needed recharging and it didn't work. I tried two different USB cables without success. But the beeping sound was quieter and slower in repeating. The beeping sound comes from the tablet. I also schowered the Mac in iTunes, Music and Finder as best I could but couldn't find the tablet's backup. I know it worked because the process was nice and quiet. The "trust" question appeared. All the questions and choices about syncing were there. No flashing screens. It was normal.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

Glad the backup worked.

It still sounds like the charging port may be slightly worn/bent/damaged, or your cords are worn and aren't making a good connection. That will make the beeping sound on the iPad, as that is the audible sound that it is connected and/or charging.

Do you have any other cables to try?
Are they Apple cables?

C

Reaction score
Once again your response to my problem worked. I had my doubts but I purchased a USB cord and gave it a try. No beeping noises. No flashing screens. The backup worked. The photos imported to the Mac. Problem solved. Thank you!

Ask a Question