IOS 17.4 & 17.4.1 Update Problems

Reaction score
Hi all, ever since updating my iPhone 13 Mini to iOS 17.4 and then 17.4.1, I've encountered a series of issues that render my phone nearly unusable. Despite trying all settings adjustments and even using airplane mode, I'm facing constant crashes, overheating, and battery drain. Additionally, there are compatibility issues, malfunctioning Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, and problems detecting SIM and eSIM cards. These problems started after the iOS 17.4.1 update, which was about a week ago. Strangely, this update was described as critical for security, yet my phone feels less secure and functional now. I've attempted every suggested fix without success. It seems my last resort is to roll back to an earlier iOS version, like 17.3, which seems to require a computer I don't have access to. I'm also experiencing severe keyboard issues, preventing proper typing and forcing me to use speech-to-text for this post. Has anyone else experienced similar problems, or do you have any recommendations? Also, is there a risk of permanent damage to the phone from these updates? Lastly, has there been any word from Apple on compensation for these issues? Thanks for any advice or shared experiences.

Reaction score
Chances are that you are one of a small minority of users who have experienced a major problem with this update. I have an iPhone 13 pro max which updated with no problems as did my wife's iPhone 15. The cause could have been any number of things such as an incomplete update or fault in the iPhone itself.
Do you backup your iPhone to iCloud? There is a chance you could reset the phone to "factory settings and restore from iCloud backup or simply setup as a New iPhone. Most of your data will be downloaded from iCloud assuming you sync that data, eg contacts, calendars, reminders, photos, music, ect.
Obviously this would be easier if your iPhone was backed up to a Mac but it can still be done as a standalone procedure. Really you have nothing to loose as it sounds almost unusable at the moment.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hello! I have been having problems with my viber and the current 17.4.1 IOS. i have a new iPhone 15 pro max and my viber keeps on freezing consistently when i open the app. I have to restart the iphone to use viber and it freezes again after a few uses. Viber support is not very helpful. They keep on saying they will "reply back" but its been two days and they haven't helped. I also uninstalled and reinstalled viber on my phone multiple times already. Any one else with this problem?

Reaction score
It seems I had a full backup, and I send the phone in warranty. Lucky me I still had a few months left on it and they accepted it. I got a short term replacement, an old iPhone 12 which has 17.1, which I'm not updating anytime soon.

Thank you for the replies.

Reaction score
A lot of people have reported that doing a force restart has resolved issues that they have been having after the 17.4.1 update.

Reaction score
But since it's a software update, how can a hardware reset (the force restart) fix them issues?

Also on the viber side, try to delete the viber's cache and data, even reinstall the app to see if that help. Otherwise, you might just need to wait for a viber update, might be some incompatibility issue in the middle.

Reaction score
Well, that is always an option but the facts are that users who have had no problems with 17.4.1 like myself don't bother to post that fact on a Mac Help Forum. We only see threads from users with problems and, that applies to all major upgrades/updates. The vast majority of users have had no problems at all, for what it's worth I personally don't know anyone of my family or friends that have.

Reaction score
Chances are that you are one of a small minority of users who have experienced a major problem with this update. I have an iPhone 13 pro max which updated with no problems as did my wife's iPhone 15. The cause could have been any number of things such as an incomplete update or fault in the iPhone itself.
Do you backup your iPhone to iCloud? There is a chance you could reset the phone to "factory settings and restore from iCloud backup or simply setup as a New iPhone. Most of your data will be downloaded from iCloud assuming you sync that data, eg contacts, calendars, reminders, photos, music, ect.
Obviously this would be easier if your iPhone was backed up to a Mac but it can still be done as a standalone procedure. Really you have nothing to loose as it sounds almost unusable at the moment.
Has the reset worjed for anyone? My phone has not worked properly on wifi since the updates and causes me to time out before I am able to access some important pages .

Reaction score
Hello! I have been having problems with my viber and the current 17.4.1 IOS. i have a new iPhone 15 pro max and my viber keeps on freezing consistently when i open the app. I have to restart the iphone to use viber and it freezes again after a few uses. Viber support is not very helpful. They keep on saying they will "reply back" but its been two days and they haven't helped. I also uninstalled and reinstalled viber on my phone multiple times already. Any one else with this problem?
Hello all, new i-Phone user here. Got my 15 pro max for 2 weeks now, with latest iOS update (17.4.1) and viber version 22.5.2 (latest for now). I had the same issue. After a lot of retry and error, I finally found a workaround that seems to work. If you go in iphone settings -> viber you will see all permissions. Open all settings and give permission to everything it has. Although camera and mic doesn't list there (by default), go back to viber and in a random conversation try to open camera, you will be prompt to give access to camera and mic, allow and that's it. If you go again in iphone settings -> viber you will see additional permissions that were not listed there before. So, with that extra permissions allowed, seems that viber to me hadn't crashed (at least yet), seems fixed.

Reaction score
Uninstalling and re installing the Viber app should do the same thing atzoulos, but you can never be sure with third party apps and updated iOS so good suggestion. Glad it worked for you, I hope it works for others too.

Ask a Question