iomega HDD on iMac

Reaction score
Hello,

I have looked at various thread on various sites for solutions to my problem but I haven't been able to sort it yet.

I recently bought a new iMac and I am trying to transfer files either from my external omega HDD which was also used as the Time Machine backups for the previous iMac. Despite the device being visible on my old iMac (via a FireWire 800 connection) I cann't view it in any way on the new IMac. I have used USB 2 and USB 3 (knowing that the port on the HDD is only USB 2) cables and it just isn't registering on the machine. Does anyone have any idea why or know how I can fix this?

The drive isn't recognised in the System Profiler, under Devices or under the Disck Utility. This transition to a new machine has been really messy. The fact that the new iMac doesn't support FireWire 800 (with direct port access) is a huge irritant but my WD MyCloud has decided to stop working today as well so any files that were also backed up on that are now likley lost.

Primarily if you can help with the iomega drive I would be very greatful but if anyone is interested the WD MyCloud is showing a red light on the system and the Dashboard has Diagnosed it's status as Critical. Data Volume failed to mount Code 0004. Reboots have failed to fix the issue and although I can see the primary folders on the drive they cannot be opened.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
I used to have a MacPro and a 17" MacBook Pro, and both of them had Firewire 800 ports. At the time (and still to this day), I had/have an External Seagate Drive which has 2 Firewire 800 ports, and 2 USB 2.0 ports. Well, when I upgraded to my late 2012 MacMini, and my mid 2013 13" MacBook Air, only the Mac Mini had a Firewire 800 port. But, for the MacBook Air, I purchased a Thunderbolt-to-Firewire 800 adapter (a little expensive; $50), and thus I can use (and do use) the Seagate External drive with Firewire 800. Much faster, of course, than USB 2.0.

So, if you want Firewire 800 connectivity for your iMac and your external Omega drive, you'll need to purchase the adapter. Not sure, though, why that drive is not visible on your iMac with a USB connection. Maybe the USB port on the external drive is bad, or the cable is bad?

Ask a Question