Internet sharing from Mac

Reaction score
I have turned on internet sharing on my Mac. My iPhone and iPad did receive a signal and I would be online. But now both devices show they are getting a signal but are not connecting to the internet. I have had my Mac for three months, I was using a router but it bit the dust so I want to use the Mac as my router

Reaction score
hmm, no you need the router, the Mac can't connect to the internet without it.

Reaction score
My mac is connected via the ethernet cable. It is online, no problem there. I want to use it to put out the wifi signal for other devices. Internet sharing is turned on, other devices pick up the signal for a short time, then not at all. Why is that? is the signal weak, does Apple want me to run out and buy a router? any ideas and or answers thank you!!

Reaction score
Ah, So you're doing create network from the WiFi Menu?

Why is that?
Why indeed? is it the Mac or the some service stopping. check your Console log for clues.

Apple want me to run out and buy a router?
BaseStation. Yes, I'm sure that would be the recommended solution. The new BaseStations have a lot more capabilities and are designed for the job, the iMac's WiFi isn't. We have them dotted around the house and office, cheap way to fill in the dead spots. Also the express is cool for streaming Music, from all the devices.

Reaction score
Yes, its time for a router. My friend said he uses an Apple router. what does the apple store call them exactly? Would another brand work for me. Nearest apple store is an hour away, kinda need something sooner! I truly appreciate your help Kaveman!

Ask a Question