Instrument Generator not working in Garageband! Please help!

Reaction score
One of my students is creating her final piece music project on GB and as she is trying to add her final track using Irish Fiddle from the World Music Jam Pack and the generator for strings has disappeared on this track.

I have tried changing an earlier track in her composition to Irish Fiddle and this track plays fine. I have moved the entire file to another Mac and the problem still occurs.

This is the ninth track in the project and this is the only thing I can think of. Any help with this problem. I have asked a couple of people who basically work for Apple over here and they are stumped too! Please help!

Reaction score
One of my students is creating her final piece music project on GB and as she is trying to add her final track using Irish Fiddle from the World Music Jam Pack and the generator for strings has disappeared on this track.

I have tried changing an earlier track in her composition to Irish Fiddle and this track plays fine. I have moved the entire file to another Mac and the problem still occurs.

This is the ninth track in the project and this is the only thing I can think of. Any help with this problem. I have asked a couple of people who basically work for Apple over here and they are stumped too! Please help!

I don't quite understand the question. Do you mean that the Irish Fiddle can't be seen in the loop browser?

Reaction score
She is using a USB keyboard to input the music and although the Irsh fiddle can be seen in the browser the generator is missing.

She's not using a GB loop, she's trying to change the sound of the music she has put in from default grand piano to irish fiddle.

Hope that clears it up!

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Try to copy the particular contents of the track to a freshly created track and see if you can get the Irish Fiddle to work that way. Set the new track up to be an Irish Fiddle from the start then copy the contents over to it. If it seems to be working fine you can disable the original track then delete it when you feel ready.

I've never come across this kind of problem before ... AFAIK, if you tried to play the track on another Mac, you would also need to install the World Music Jam Pack on that computer as well of the Irish Fiddle either wouldn't play or would play with a default instrument, maybe Piano.

Reaction score
I've already tried that, Spawn, but thanks anyway!

We've got quite a few Macs all with the same Jam Packs on but it is the same on every Mac when I copy the GB file to a new Mac.

Nobody seems to have an answer! I'm obviously a paradox within a riddle!

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
What happens if you create a new GB project and then add a track, the
Irish Fiddle ... is the instrument generated?

Try this:

Quit GarageBand if it's running. Locate and move these GarageBand Prefs to the Trash:

com.apple.garageband.cs
com.apple.garageband.plist

Log out then back in and test out the GB project to see if the problem still persists.

If after all this there's been no joy then the project may have become corrupt which will possibly explain why the problem is seen over several Macs that have imported the project but couldn't play that track how it's meant to be played.

Try the steps discussed at this link maybe it'll help.

Rescuing Corrupt GarageBand Files

Reaction score
I wonder if it's possible that your Garage Band apps are set up to only do eight tracks. Did you receive any warning message when you tried adding the ninth track? If this is the case and I remember correctly, you can change the settings in GB's preferences to allow for more tracks. Just a thought. I have to get around to playing around with this app a bit more.

Reaction score
Thanks guys. That link to Bullet and Bones did the trick! Must have been a corrupted file.

Cheers!

Ask a Question