iMac sticking on one folder

Reaction score
I have a problem with my iMac sticking on the last folder in a collection with the scroll bar stuck at the bottom, also the drop down menus just flicker accompanied with a popping sound. The only way I can overcome this Is to keep pressing the escape key. Any ideas what might be causing this. Thanks Peter Short

Reaction score
Need to know the following:

1. Specific iMac model you have.

2. Specific OS you are using.

3. Does this happen via the keyboard only, or when using arrow keys?

4. Are you doing any backups to an external device?

5. Have you done any disk maintenance/cleanup?

6. What third party software are you using? Hopefully you are not using MacKeeper and/or CleanMyMac.

7. Do you have a third party disk maintenance/repair program like Disk Warrior or TechTool Pro?

Reaction score
Need to know the following:

1. Specific iMac model you have.

2. Specific OS you are using.

3. Does this happen via the keyboard only, or when using arrow keys?

4. Are you doing any backups to an external device?

5. Have you done any disk maintenance/cleanup?

6. What third party software are you using? Hopefully you are not using MacKeeper and/or CleanMyMac.

7. Do you have a third party disk maintenance/repair program like Disk Warrior or TechTool Pro?

Reaction score
I have a 2008 20inch iMac with 2.4GHz internal core 2 duo processor, 4G Ram, graphics ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT 128 Mb.
OSX EL Capitan. Two external drive back ups. No disc maintenance/cleanup has been done. Third party software iAntiVirus
and no disc maintenance/repair program.

Reaction score
Did you upgrade to El Capitan? And, is that version 10.11.1? If you did, what OS did you upgrade from? And, was everything OK using the prior OS?

Reaction score
My version of El Capitan is 10.11.1 and I upgraded from Yosemite. the problem existed with that OS and even before then with Snow Leopard.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
-What brand/model of keyboard and mouse/trackpad?
-Wired or wireless?
-If wireless, do they have fresh batteries?
-Are any of the keys or buttons sticky/not working properly?

Sometimes this can be caused by a sticking keyboard key or mouse button.

C

Reaction score
I am using a wired Apple keyboard and a wired Apple mouse. The uppercase q does not work on the keyboard so I will investigate this and the mouse and
get back to you. Thank you.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

Let us know what you find...the sticking key could definitely be related to the issue you are having.

C

Reaction score
It seems the problem was the keyboard and I have now installed a new one and all is working well so far. So thank you for sorting this and seasons greeting to you all. Cheers Peter Short.

Ask a Question