IMac slow after Start up /Sleep

Reaction score
Please assist as it appears no one has the answer .....
iMac is late 2015 , 16 meg RAM with a new 1Tb SSD drive fitted .Only 249gigs used in total so far from full .
Activity Monitor shows no issues nor high usage of memory .
After booting up (which is very fast) or coming out of Sleep, Apps are slow/impossible to open unless I Force Quit with bouncing icon in dock and/or spinning wheel .
Things speed up dramatically also when this happens if I reboot and reset PRAM.
Once Apps open and up and running it is fast with no lag or spinning wheel whatsoever .
Hardware check shows all is 100%.
Hard drive was re-formatted and all data reloaded -Same .
Software update done - same .
Any strange/Non Apple apps deleted - same .

No one seems to have an answer including Google as to how to eliminate this lag /slowness when booting up or coming out of Sleep .
In interim to eliminate this when up and running eventually , is to set that Mac dos not go in to Sleep mode .
This eliminates the issue and all runs smoothly and fast without issues .

Can someone possibly assist with a solution ????

Thank you !

Reaction score
I’m assuming this is a 21.5" Retina iMac, with max memory of 16 gibibytes (not “meg”) and that system is macOS 12.7.4 Monterey.

Is the SSD formatted as APFS? What method did you use to reload previous data? Do you have up-to-date Time Machine backup(s)?

Whenever you reset PRAM, TRIM gets disabled. You need to re-enable it.

For now, try rebooting in Safe Mode and check to see if the slowdown behavior still happens.

Reaction score
I’m assuming this is a 21.5" Retina iMac, with max memory of 16 gibibytes (not “meg”) and that system is macOS 12.7.4 Monterey.

Is the SSD formatted as APFS? What method did you use to reload previous data? Do you have up-to-date Time Machine backup(s)?

Whenever you reset PRAM, TRIM gets disabled. You need to re-enable it.

For now, try rebooting in Safe Mode and check to see if the slowdown behavior still happens.
Tony ,Thanks for your input- it is a 27" and yes , 16GB of RAM running Monterey 12.7.4.
I had a Mac technician delete the drive, reload the OS and re-load all data from a Time machine backup he made .
Third party apps I am using is Microsoft Office HP scanner and WhatsApp
Disk utility states formatted as APFS
I have a Time capsule which I am using as a back up .
How do you re-enable TRIM?
On About this Mac TRIM Support states YES .......
Apple SSD Controller:
APPLE SSD AP0032H:

Capacity: 24 GB (24 002 560 000 bytes)
TRIM Support: Yes
Does this mean active???

In Safe mode this not slowing down and all applications boot up with no lag

Last edited:
Reaction score
Tony ,Thanks for your input- it is a 27" and yes , 16GB of RAM running Monterey 12.7.4.
I had a Mac technician delete the drive, reload the OS and re-load all data from a Time machine backup he made .
Third party apps I am using is Microsoft Office HP scanner and WhatsApp
Disk utility states formatted as APFS
I have a Time capsule which I am using as a back up .
How do you re-enable TRIM?
On About this Mac TRIM Support states YES .......
Apple SSD Controller:
APPLE SSD AP0032H:

Capacity: 24 GB (24 002 560 000 bytes)
TRIM Support: Yes
Does this mean active???

In Safe mode this not slowing down and all applications boot up with no lag
Your Mac tech seems to have done a good job, including formatting the drive APFS. I don’t know if she/he enabled TRIM or if the drive automatically enables TRIM after resetting PRAM. In any case, if you see the TRIM inactive, here is the Terminal command:

sudo trimforce enable

Then enter your password. Easy.

If the slowdown went away in Safe Boot and comes back in normal mode, you must have one or more processes causing the overload. You can use Activity Monitor to check on the system load, especially in the CPU and Memory sections.

Reaction score
Thank you for your valuable input, Tony -appreciated ! Will torture until I have resolved .
Will keep in touch on progress

Reaction score
Noticed at start up WindowServer takes up 104% of CPU!!
Is this possibly a clue as to why the slow issues at start up and after Sleep?????
Also - if I boot up in Safe Mode and then restart from Safe mode all apps open as they should .

Reaction score
Noticed at start up WindowServer takes up 104% of CPU!!
Is this possibly a clue as to why the slow issues at start up and after Sleep?????
Also - if I boot up in Safe Mode and then restart from Safe mode all apps open as they should .
WindowServer always take up loads of CPU cycles but usually backs down after a while. I’m at around 40% now, and I have a good number of running apps with open windows—on two 32" monitors. Keep a close watch on Activity Monitor, but keep in mind that Activity Monitor, by itself, uses up a lot of CPU and memory load. It will at least give you a clue on what processes/apps are using an inordinate amount of resources.

Ask a Question